Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collaborative Moderation tools

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Collaborative Moderation tools

    Disclaimer: I am fully prepared to author this myself, this is not necessarily a request for someone to write this for me.

    So, in earlier versions of vBulletin, it was possible to have post reports create a thread on a particular forum when they were created. Such posts contain the content that was reported, the user's report reason, and are attributed to the user who reported the post.

    In our forum, we have a handful of super moderators who are responsible for the whole board, and we collaboratively moderate by using these threads as discussion spaces. When situations are less clear cut than spam, we've found this is invaluable in attaining a consensus and providing some consistent moderation.

    Now, enter vBulletin 5. We've recently started looking at a forum overhaul and an update to the latest version of the product - but, alas! Reported posts have changed a bit in this version!

    I can see that reports are a custom type now, but they still contain some of the gubbins that a post does, too. What I'm trying to do, therefore, is to keep the report flag, but have it also create a forum thread for the reported content and link the moderators to that discussion space within the report flag message. I can't however see a space or a hook I can use to do this.

    My questions here are thus:
    • Has anyone done this before? Can I just buy something that does this for me?
    • Failing that, is there a hook in this area I can leverage into making this work?
    Thanks in advance.

    #2
    Certainly a good question, I would be interested in an answer to this a swell. I use VB 3.8 where the reporting system is exactly as you explain, but in VB5 they did away with some of those useful features. Would be great to find a way to get those back again. I miss reports being placed as threads within a ''Reports'' forum. Allowed for a much better collaborative experience.

    Comment


      #3
      That's on my todo list. It seems that a number of people are interested with this. But has there been an improvement request filed for this in the vB tracker system?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
        That's on my todo list. It seems that a number of people are interested with this. But has there been an improvement request filed for this in the vB tracker system?
        I'm not sure. I asked about it on the main vBulletin forum and was directed to you, here, to discuss it.

        Do you have an initial idea in mind about how to implement it? I'm probably going to try to reverse engineer it myself sooner rather than later to get this done, as it's probably our only showstopper for deploying the update (skins we can handle with our GFX team).

        Comment


          #5
          I have created a quick prototype and it's working. It just needs a little polishing. Watch the screencast video demo below:



           

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
            I have created a quick prototype and it's working. It just needs a little polishing. Watch the screencast video demo below:


            That is exactly what I am looking for, this is what VB 3.8 has that is missing, simple tool but so effective. Will be on my purchase list !

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
              I have created a quick prototype and it's working. It just needs a little polishing. Watch the screencast video demo below:


              Perfect, take my money.

              I wonder, though, could the initial post in the thread quote the reported content? And can the flag contain a link to the discussion thread that was created? Other than that, it looks pretty much like how 3.x used to handle it.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by xyon View Post
                I wonder, though, could the initial post in the thread quote the reported content?
                Do you want the entire content to be quoted or just partial only?

                Originally posted by xyon View Post
                And can the flag contain a link to the discussion thread that was created?
                The flag report has been created before the plugin code is executed. I'm not sure if a report node can be edited programmatically to insert the topic link.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
                  Do you want the entire content to be quoted or just partial only?
                  Probably the full quote, barring any nested quoting nastiness of course. I generally visit the thread anyway to review the post in context, but it's nice to have the full content in view in the report - and it saves it for audit later if the post is deleted.

                  Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
                  The flag report has been created before the plugin code is executed. I'm not sure if a report node can be edited programmatically to insert the topic link.
                  Hmm, that's a bit of a headache to implement I suppose. I'm sort of used to hitting the link to the discussion thread in the email that the forum emits when a post is reported, but I suspect that would have the same problem - the horse has already bolted before your code can catch it and put a saddle on it.

                  Still, the prototype is a solution to our blocker, since it creates for us a discussion space we can use to form a consensus about the reported content - presumably we can control in the ACP where this is posted to and the usual forum permissions then apply. It's looking good!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by xyon View Post
                    Probably the full quote, barring any nested quoting nastiness of course. I generally visit the thread anyway to review the post in context, but it's nice to have the full content in view in the report - and it saves it for audit later if the post is deleted.
                    I'll probably make it a plugin option to let admins decide if they want to quote the reported post or not.

                    Originally posted by xyon View Post
                    Hmm, that's a bit of a headache to implement I suppose. I'm sort of used to hitting the link to the discussion thread in the email that the forum emits when a post is reported, but I suspect that would have the same problem - the horse has already bolted before your code can catch it and put a saddle on it.
                    You're right! It's like a chicken and egg situation.


                    Comment


                      #11
                      An option to include a quote of the reported post would be ideal, this would make it exactly the same as the tool as per what VB 3 Has. Again, this is great work.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X