Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will NOT be upgrading.... I also just upgraded a little over a month before they announced 6.0

If I'm reading correctly, vBulletin will no longer provide updates for the life of the product, but just the first year from purchase.

That's a bold decision. It's on par with the other paid products now, but that perpetual support was a differentiator when we made our platform decision.

I understand the business decision, but it's going to leave us with a decision to make, too.

Do we move beyond 5.7.5 and open our wallet a second time, and again on an annual basis to get updates? Assuming there are updates?

Or, do we look at open source alternatives?​

Comment

Originally posted by Eolesen View Post
      vBulletin will no longer provide updates for the life of the product, but just the first year from purchase.
      Where did you read this? And what does "updates" mean? I understand that they will not update 5.7.5 anymore (unless there's a security update I assume) but I think they will still provide "support" for it up until at some point.
      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
      Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I just saw the latest announcements and saw what you were referring to Eolesen.

vBulletin 6 licenses will retail for $179, which includes one year of free updates and one month of ticket support from vBulletin’s world-renowned support team...

After the first year, purchasing a maintenance service add-on ($79) will provide access to updates for an additional year.​
        So after the first year, you'll have to pay $79 annually to get continuous support and updates. That is indeed a bold move!
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Invalid decision
          You have to pay for a new copy in order to upgrade
          I think this will make a lot of people abandon the forums​

Or it will move to xenforo

Comment

Originally posted by dz_khelifa View Post
            Invalid decision
            You have to pay for a new copy in order to upgrade
            I think this will make a lot of people abandon the forums​

Or it will move to xenforo
            The price of vb5 was $259 and was released 10 years ago. That's $1.08 a month. The new license is $179, or $100 for the upgrade and $79 for a year of updates if you want to look at it that way.

Xenforo base is $160 and provides updates for a year. After that you need to pay an annual $55 fee to get updates, So the model is the same and the pricing is a tiny bit lower. When you add in the stuff that us built into vBulletin, Resource Manager for file uploads and downloads $65 + 15/year, and a media gallery $65 + $15/year, Xenforo gets more expensive in a hurry.

There are free options as well that are available, but you never get more than you pay for.

Comment

We'll let things ride for a couple years on 5.7.5 -- maybe if there's visible progress with the core product and updates are actually happening often enough to justify the cost, we'll bite.

Comment

Unfortunately you treat who is on the vbulletin platform
                Like who wants to join for the first time​

New subscription 179$
                upgrade ​179$
                I think marketing is wrong

You are forcing a loyal customer to buy a license again
                Plus the costs of modifications to the theme and other additions​

As the brothers mentioned now, there is nothing positive that calls for converting towards the sixth version

Comment

Quick question for Gleen :

did you have a chance to check if your mods work also with version 6 of vbulletin?

like mods on like count
                  or the list of moderators​
                  etc..

Comment

Originally posted by desmomax View Post
                    did you have a chance to check if your mods work also with version 6 of vbulletin?
                    Here it is...

Last edited by glennrocksvb; 08-25-2023, 06:43 AM.
                    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Click image for larger versionName:	Immagine 2023-08-28 093022.pngViews:	3Size:	26.9 KBID:	27471

thanks Glenn,

i see that like like summary and count is no more working... due to the different reaction system. Do you think that you can implement a mod that counts in any case the different reactions?
                      it would be greatly appreciated...​

Comment

Wayne Luke mentioned in the support forum that there's a plan to expand the Reactions system to show those who reacted in each post. Let's wait for it in the next few versions of vB6. This might be enough to not need a mod created.
                        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

My forum updated to vb6
                          no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by desmomax View Post
                            My forum updated to vb6
                            no issues.
                            I had two issue :

1) vBulletin team took 24 hours to complete the update, they left the forum closed during all this time.

2) Most important. My VB 6 forum is ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL to the VB5. Not one comma has changed except the emoticons added.

Really?

PS : Ok, they left the vb5 theme to have full compatibility, but still, nothing seems changed.

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
                              I think the only vB6 change with significant impact is the introduction of the Event Queue that will help in improving slow performance when posting. Some of you may know that the main reason posting in a huge forum is slow in vB5 is due to notifications being sent to the subscribers of the topic, channel and author. With the Event Queue, they said the notifications are processed separately in a cron job running on the server. This should help in speeding up the posting.
                              Sergiobodyweb, did you enable Event Queue? This is supposed to help improve speed in posting especially for big boards such as yours.

Originally posted by vbulletin
                              Event Queue
                              We introduced a new event queue to enhance performance and move events to the server command line. The Event Queue includes tasks like creating notifications for new posts.

To enable the event queue, move do_not_upload\vbevent.php to the web server and configure it to run every minute using the server's task manager (e.g., crontab). Once the file is enabled, you can manage it in the AdminCP. Look for the "Enable Browser-Based System Events" control under Settings -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options.
                              Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post

Sergiobodyweb, did you enable Event Queue? This is supposed to help improve speed in posting especially for big boards such as yours.
                                No, haven't done, thank you. I'll do asap.

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                                X
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"