X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you going to upgrade to vB6?

vBulletin announces vBulletin 6.0.0 Release Candidate today. The final version will be released in the coming weeks.

<p>We are pleased to announce the Release Candidate version of vBulletin 6, which is available for preview as the powering version of this forum. More details on the availability of the final version will be announced in the upcoming weeks.</p> <h1>Changes and Updates in vBulletin 6.0.0</h1>

Are you going to upgrade from vB5 to vB6?

Aside from style enhancements, it seems that vB6 is essentially still the same as vB5. I assume all the vB5 backend including the plugin system are compatible with vB6. They better be, otherwise, they would do the same mistake they did when they released vB5 from vB4 where the mods were incompatible.

So officially the final vB5 version is 5.7.5. I recommend you to at least upgrade to that version if you are on vB5.
    Last edited by glennrocksvb; 08-08-2023, 11:31 PM.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

I have a bad feeling about this change. Don't go anywhere

Comment

Will vBCloud customers automatically get vB6 or they'll have to purchase a new license/subscription?
      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Got me! I figured it will be automatic.

• glennrocksvb
        glennrocksvb commented
        Editing a comment
        That's good for vBCloud customers.

I think the only vB6 change with significant impact is the introduction of the Event Queue that will help in improving slow performance when posting. Some of you may know that the main reason posting in a huge forum is slow in vB5 is due to notifications being sent to the subscribers of the topic, channel and author. With the Event Queue, they said the notifications are processed separately in a cron job running on the server. This should help in speeding up the posting.
      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

There is no major change between the fifth version and the new sixth version
        More work should be done to improve the main interface of the forum
        And moving away from the usual pattern​

Comment

glennrocksvb so you're thinking all the existing mods will still work? Online pulsating, pm/ notification pulsating, topic starter, TTT & TTB, and all the others I've implemented

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            glennrocksvb commented
            Editing a comment
            I think most of them will still work, if not all. I'm not sure if they made changes to the HTML structure and CSS classes.

WTH, I upgraded from 4 to 5 last month, LOL. Really?

Comment

In fairness, they developed and supported vB5 for about 13 years.
            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Since our forum has a completely custom theme which was worked on for quite some time, I don't find this upgrade necessary.
              I might just upgrade for fun to see what it breaks and if we can fix it quickly but if it will take time and effort we prefer to stick with our current version. Unfortunately even 5.7.5 breaks​ our forum because were relying on a couple of plugins that only work with older versions.

Comment

It's the same for me as any other release. Test, fix what broke and upgrade to keep current when I have time. We only have 1 mod on our site so I don't expect it to be much work and if our 1 mod doesn't work, I'm sure Glenn will fix it.

As long as vBulletin dosen't do anything stupid with licensing or pricing, it should be a non issue, but I have seen nothing compelling me to upgrade either.

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
                  In fairness, they developed and supported vB5 for about 13 years.
                  Of course I'm not blaming them, it's curious that I haven't updated the forum in years and years and I did it a month before they come up with the new version.

BTW, I will upgrade ASAP, I'm still debugging the vB5, so I'll upgrade and finish the debug.
                  Hopefully your mods glennrocksvb will be compatible.

Comment

I was also surprised with the release of vB6. I wasn't aware they started developing vB6.
                    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

At this point I was expecting a vB6 with a lot of aesthetic upgrades, something like all your mods plus a lot more. Interaction with all the socials, API and plug in for everything else.
                      I'm aware that developing that can be expensive, but that's the only way (IMHO) to stand out ot it always be the "old" vBulletin.

Comment

Regardless

Vamos Lets Go GIF by Travis

Comment

I will install the new versione 6 as soon as coming out..

hope your mods i have installed will still work....

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                          X
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"