First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StephenK
    replied
    Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
    If you set "Can View Topic Content" permission to No and "Can View Channels" to Yes (and probably "Can View Others' Topics" to Yes too) in the Channel Permissions for Unregistered/Not Logged In usergroup, then the site will not look like an empty board as they can see all the channels and the list of topics and titles but when they open a topic, they will see a no permission to view error message.
    Thanks, but I tried that. What I don't like about that is the the circled area in this image is blank (last posts are completely hidden), and yet posts show up in the "Latest Topics" sidebar, but if you click on them, they just go back to the forum index with no explanation. I would much prefer if all the last posts were displayed, and then if you click on them or the posts in the sidebar, you go into the thread and it's all grayed out. Or something like that. I don't like the default behavior with "Can View Topic Content" set to no...

Click image for larger version

Name:	lastpost.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	7966

Leave a comment:

• glennrocksvb
    replied
    If you set "Can View Topic Content" permission to No and "Can View Channels" to Yes (and probably "Can View Others' Topics" to Yes too) in the Channel Permissions for Unregistered/Not Logged In usergroup, then the site will not look like an empty board as they can see all the channels and the list of topics and titles but when they open a topic, they will see a no permission to view error message.

Leave a comment:

• StephenK
    replied
    Hi Glenn,
    I'd like to hide all forum discussions from non-logged in members and guests, but not the actual forum channels, or the titles of the topics. I'm wondering if this mod can be extended so that the content of all posts in all forum channels are blurred, including the first post. So you would still see the channel list on the home page, and the latest topics and last posts, but if you then clicked to go into any of those discussions it would all be blurred out.

(This is going to be a private community forum; only people who live in the community are allowed to register and participate. However, I'd like people who live here but have not yet joined to not just see empty spaces; if they could see that there's a bunch of discussions happening, just not exactly what they are, they may be inclined to request membership.)

I've tried playing with the permissions such that non-logged in guests cannot see topics, or posts, but the results are unsatisfactory - it looks like an empty board.

Leave a comment:

• Horizon
    replied
    All done and working, thanks.

It's a real tease for guests, what's under the blur....?. Sneaky stuff. Love it!

On to your next mod now.
    Last edited by Horizon; 03-04-2017, 03:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• glennrocksvb
    replied
    You can paste it anywhere as long as it does not overwrite any existing code. But to be organized, just put it at the end. Gap is not important but for clarity and to be tidy, add an empty newline between them.

Leave a comment:

• Horizon
    replied
    Where do I paste the CSS in the CSS Editor, Glenn?

In my CSS editor, the last line is numbered 116 and has this text on it: /* End Header Background */

Do I paste the CSS under this? Do I leave a gap? Or, should I post it at the top of the CSS page before line 1 which has the text on it: /* Larger Forum Titles */

thanks

Leave a comment:

• Horizon
    replied
    Ok, thanks.

As I said before, I am completely non-techy, so assumed this had to be installed like your other mods.

I don't know what CSS is. I'll guess I'll find out in a minute!

Leave a comment:

• glennrocksvb
    replied
    There is actually an instruction at the top of that file enclosed in /* and */ comment tags. You just have to add the css in css_additional.css template or via Sitebuilder > Style > CSS Editor.

Code:
    /*************** [B][COLOR=#FF0000]Add the below CSS to css_additional.css template or via Sitebuilder > Style > CSS Editor[/COLOR][/B] ***************/

Leave a comment:

• Horizon
    replied
    Glenn, this is the next of your paid mods I am going to install, but when I extracted the zip file I could only find a file called css_additional.css.txt and no instructions. Could you send me the instructions please for this?

many thanks
    Horizon

Leave a comment:

• moded
    replied
    I just purchase this add on , i will try to install , if i need help

Leave a comment:

• Madekozu
    commented on 's reply
    No problem - the error was on my side - I had a disconnect at this time (found in the log of the router)

• glennrocksvb
    commented on 's reply
    Oh, it was you! Sorry for the momentary glitch on the payment system. I will report the issue to them.

Anyway, I'm glad this mod works for you.

• Madekozu
    replied
    Hi Glenn,

works perfect

Thanks for the refund on the first attempt - The second attempt worked

Leave a comment:

• glennrocksvb
    replied
    Originally posted by William View Post
    If there was one thing I could add to this mod, and it might be able, is to add a url to the registration page when it says one must be registered and logged in. Any advice? From a purely CSS standard?
    Using pure CSS, no. CSS cannot generate HTML content which is required to create a link.

Leave a comment:

• Felix2
    replied
    you are using existing vBulletin templates.
    Nope. Started out with one. Have heavily rewrote it and called it my own.
    But you are correct. I could not do a standard upgrade without massive conflicts.
    As every released update since vb5.0 has resolved more than 150 bugs in every release and added about 300 more, and fixed none of the bugs prior to 5x, I don't bother with upgrades in the common sense.
    I instead look over the changed code and apply what I want, being careful not to conflict or break any of my own code.
    I also include XF, IPB, and basically any code I want if it serves a need. I've gone so far as to rewrite the database, RSS, and a lot of other code.
    I guess one could say I have rewritten so much of the code it wouldn't be fair to call it vB anymore, except that is still at the core of it.
    Many people think it is vB4x because of how it looks and works.
    Had I known the **** I'd go through upgrading from 4x to 5x I would have gone to IPB. But since I went to all the trouble to make the thing work, including updating my Apache and PHP servers, I figure I might as well keep it a while longer.
    Besides, now that vB4x is no longer supported, DragonByte will no longer provide support or development and vB itself has done little in years, I don't see much of a future for the forum unless one can code like I can. Sad thing is, I've made a number of exploit fixes and bug patches, offered them to vB free, and they declined to accept them, claiming they didn't plan to continue support.
    Meh. It is what it is.
    I offer help where I can.
    But it is now 4AM for me and I feel I am rambling, so I will say good night.

Leave a comment:

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
X
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"