Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I tried to replace your background image with mine in the inspector, I saw this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	165.1 KB ID:	29389
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Okay. What looks to be happening, is that the background image I'm using; any that I select; is being presented on the page differently when viewed 'normally' or through Inspector.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 2.11.56 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	275.9 KB ID:	29393
      The left side of the image above is what one sees 'normally'. Note that the Earths upper atmosphere (lower red line) is much lower than when viewed through Inspector (right side of the image).

The image dimensions of the image are 2047 × 1150.

Code:
      background: url("core/images/misc/Sun_glint_on_the_Caspian_Sea.jpg") no-repeat center fixed;
      background-size: cover;​
      So how do I get the background image to be shown as it is when viewed in Inspector?
      The Linux Community has given me much. I do what I can to return the favor!

Comment

The background image adjusts based on the browser viewport dimensions. That's what background-size: cover does.

If you want the earth' to peek through the header section, then you can position the background image a little higher to offset the black space by changing the background to this:
        Code:
        background: url("core/images/misc/Sun_glint_on_the_Caspian_Sea.jpg") no-repeat 0 -150px fixed;
        The -150px in the code is the vertical position of the image relative to the top edge of the image. Negative values means you are moving the image upwards.

Or you could also edit the image and crop the top portion to minimize the black space and then keep the original CSS code.
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          glennrocksvb commented
          Editing a comment
          I just realized repositioning the background image upwards is not a good solution. It creates a missing portion of the image at the bottom in the footer. Cropping the image is a better solution.

Thanks. I've already come to the realization that the size of the image used plays a significant part here. I went through the other background images I have, and they all show through in b-top-background__header-mainnav. but all the other images have actual image content throughout; no black space like this one image does. That said, it appears that in normal (non-Inspector) viewing, the black area at the top of the image is bigger in height than what is in the actual image. Maybe just an illusion on my part.

No matter. My interest was in assuring that background image content would be visible through b-top-background__header-mainnav, and it is. So I'll not make any special tweaks just to satisfy me personally.

Thank you very much for the time looking into this and ultimately, helping me understand (a little better) what is happening.

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
          Cropping the image is a better solution.
          And I actually came to that consideration too; for this particular image. But that brings me to this question: What is the optimal image size (if there is one) for use as a background image?

Comment

Cropped the image. Now "I" see what I want in this background image.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 3.51.37 PM.png
Views:	36
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	29399

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              But that brings me to this question: What is the optimal image size (if there is one) for use as a background image?
              I'd go with at least 1920 wide.

The most popular screen resolution is 1920x1080 based on this global stats:

This graph shows the stats of screen resolutions worldwide based on over 5 billion monthly page views.

Btw, thanks for the coffee overload ☕☕☕

Too Much Coffee GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I also recommend compressing the image to reduce file size.

I use this tool:

Optimizilla is the ultimate image optimizer to compress your images in JPEG, GIF and PNG formats to the minimum possible size.

It reduces file size with reduced quality but it's hardly noticeable.
                Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

Comment

And now with a background image I really like!

Click image for larger version

Name:	KFN.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	29414

Comment

That's cool!
                      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                      X
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"