Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another question, when a user quoted another's post containing a dice roll, should that roll be included in the quoted text?
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

glennrocksvb That wouldn't be necessary, no.

That said, the ability to roll dice in a hidden part of the post which only the admin running the game can see would be helpful at times. For example, [secret=Glenn][dice]6d4[/dice][/secret] would show a secret portion of the post containing that roll just to you, if your user name was Glenn. The secret tag might be default function for vB, I'm not sure.

Otherwise, having regular rolls nested in their own boxes like the example site I showed should be more than enough to distinguish them. There will be many sub-games running on the forums, so a list tracking all rolls would get crowded fast.

Comment

glennrocksvb If someone quotes a post with a roll in it, yes, the roll as presented normally can be included in the quote.

I know there might be some chance there for someone to quote a roll and fiddle with the numbers (unless you have a way of stopping that), but the original roll and the post it was made in will be unchanged, thus protecting from that kind of cheating.

Comment

glennrocksvb HI there. Just checking in. Did you have any other questions about my request? Do you feel it's feasible for you to do, if not?

Also, when a custom extension is made for a client like this, does it remain exclusively for their use? I would prefer that, admittedly. Thanks!

Comment

Please give me more time to evaluate. The most challenging part is to prevent user to remove/edit the existing roll.

If you want this exclusively for you, then it would be more expensive.
            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

glennrocksvb Undeestood! We are eagerly waiting to see if you can make it happen, as the roller is key to making the game possible. If we can get it from you, then I’ll buy a vB license and we’ll be all set!

As for the more expensive price, I understand. A comparison between exclusive and not would be appreciated when you are ready. As I said, being disabled offers not a ton of spending cash, so it will depend.

Looking forward to hearing from you. My players have high hopes!

Comment

glennrocksvb Hi Glenn. I hope you’ve maybe had some good luck thinking on solutions for this project!

Although I do not insist that my roller be a carbon copy of RPG Crossing’s (and it won’t be since we are leaving so much out), I thought I’d give you some further example info which might shed light on their anti-cheat permanent rolls.

Today, I rolled 1d20+5 for a game. This was done by typing [dice=To Hit]1d20+5[/dice]. The result was (19)+5 for a total of 24. It displays as normal, nested within the post like the example links show.

If you then go to edit the post, the dice roll shows like this:

[dice=To Hit]1d20+5 = 523518308 [/dice]

I assume the string of numbers in edit records the result, but not exactly sure what the numbers mean, as I am tech dumb. Maybe a database reference or just some type of encryption for the roll? Whatever it is, you can’t edit it to change the roll result.

Comment

Thanks for providing additional info. Could you please post a screenshot of the post in edit mode?

Originally posted by Lorekeeper View Post
                  Whatever it is, you can’t edit it to change the roll result.
                  By this, did you mean you can't physically edit the roll? Or you could but it would reset it back to the original roll result after saving the post?
                  Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                  A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Here is a screenshot of the editing mode. Sorry it isn't the best, I had to crop and couldn't get at the whole picture. Roll string is at the bottom, just above the last /fieldset.

As for what happens when you edit the number string... When you return to the post after editing, you will find that the edited post has been deleted if you change the string. It'll still show the roll, but hidden in a deleted post. The original roll is preserved and still shown as normal.

Comment

When you return to the post after editing, you will find that the edited post has been deleted if you change the string. It'll still show the roll, but hidden in a deleted post.
                      Thanks for this info. This feature could be abused by someone who had a bad roll to withdraw from the game by intentionally editing the existing roll in order for the post to get deleted.
                      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

glennrocksvb It automatically hides the deleted edit-based roll and only shows the original roll. You have to click to open a box showing the deleted roll(s), but I’m not sure if everyone can do that or only the poster.

Notably, if you change that number string in editing, it stays changed. However, the original roll alone remains preserved and shown. All other rolls which edit that number string are deleted/hidden. So, I would guess it’s some kind of record or code to ensure only the legitimate first roll is shown, and any further changes mean deletion. That’s purely a guess from someone with no programming knowledge.

Is this beginning to look like something you might be able to make for me? I think I’ve run out of further info to give.

Comment

glennrocksvb Hi there! Just checking in to see if you’ve had any luck with this project, Glenn. Been a bit since we last spoke.

Comment

Well, I can't figure out yet how to implement the edited/deleted roll. If you need this project soon, then I will not be able to do this for you. Sorry.
                            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

glennrocksvb Well, that is certainly a setback, but maybe e can work around it. Instead of preventing the editing, could the roller add a note that the roll has been edited? It doesn’t stop them from doing that, but at least gives us a heads up.

If not even that, can you do the rest without the edit/delete part? We did unfortunately need it sooner than later and you seem to be the only trusted choice among people making vB mods to order. Thanks!

Comment

can you do the rest without the edit/delete part? We did unfortunately need it sooner than later
                                How soon?
                                Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                                A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                                X
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"