X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contest Voter

We are a music production forum. Every year our forum organizes a year end contest where members can submit the best track they have produced for that specific year. Up to last year, when we were still using 3.8, we have used (a modified version of) the post thank you hack (forgot the developer). This hack allowed us to add a vote button on every OP of all threads in one selected forum. Other members could vote for a track by clicking that button and their name would appear at the bottom of the OP. Once a vote was submitted, it could not be withdrawn. TS was unable to vote on his own thread.

After the contest we could run a counter and the result would be presented. Then we would turn off the mod and proceed with boring forum posts again.

Now, VB5 does have a like option which I don't like that much. It doesn't allow me to turn it on or off for one specific forum/channel. It provides the undesired option to withdraw an earlier like. It doesn't show the name of the member that has voted. Basically this option is not of any use as a contest voter. So now that we just successfully installed the vbmodsrock mp3 auto embedder, we are in desperate need for such voter. Is this something which could be easily programmed?

Originally posted by ssfnl View Post
    It doesn't show the name of the member that has voted.
    It does if you click the bubble icon next to the Like button.

It doesn't allow me to turn it on or off for one specific forum/channel.
    A mod can be created to hide the Like button for specific channels.

It provides the undesired option to withdraw an earlier like.
    Aside from hiding the Unlike button, the Unlike API could probably be extended to check if the post belongs to a particular channel and cancel the unlike operation as needed. I will have to look into it.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
      It does if you click the bubble icon next to the Like button.
      Nice. Didn't know that. Would it be possible to show this information on the bottom of the post anyway, including the text "people who liked" (or any other custom phrase)?

A mod can be created to hide the Like button for specific channels.
      That would be really, really nice.

Aside from hiding the Unlike button, the Unlike API could probably be extended to check if the post belongs to a particular channel and cancel the unlike operation as needed. I will have to look into it.

Wouldn't simply hiding not be enough? If it's hidden, it can't be used, right?

Comment

Would it be possible to show this information on the bottom of the post anyway, including the text "people who liked" (or any other custom phrase)?
        There is an existing mod for this at vb.org: https://vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=311951
        But even then, it would only be able to list the first few users who liked the post. You wouldn't want to list them all and possibly overpower the post itself especially if you're running a contest and there is a possibility that you would have hundreds or thousands of users liking the post.

Wouldn't simply hiding not be enough? If it's hidden, it can't be used, right?

Yes, but for tech savvy users, they could find out it's just hidden via CSS and unhide it.
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

There is an existing mod for this at vb.org: https://vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=311951
          But even then, it would only be able to list the first few users who liked the post. You wouldn't want to list them all and possibly overpower the post itself especially if you're running a contest and there is a possibility that you would have hundreds or thousands of users liking the post.
          Our estimate is a max of about 50 usernames, maximum 2 lines in small font.

Yes, but for tech savvy users, they could find out it's just hidden via CSS and unhide it.
          I guess by me asking this question, it is obvious I'm not one of those . So yes, just hiding would not be enough. Agreed.

Comment

I just checked the mod I linked in more detail and found out it hasn't been updated for 4 years and it doesn't work on the newer vB versions. I guess I could make my own version where the number of users to initially display is configurable.
            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I just checked the mod I linked in more detail and found out it hasn't been updated for 4 years and it doesn't work on the newer vB versions. I guess I could make my own version where the number of users to initially display is configurable.
              Just did the same and noticed how the developper seems to have lost interest. It would be a great option for us to use indeed. Let me know what kind of additional information you would need.

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
              X
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"