Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Forum Icons code not working as expected.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Forum Icons code not working as expected.

glennrocksvb

I have been pulling my hair out in an attempt to update my Custom Forum Icons code.
    The issue seems to be that elements are being taken over at points I can't locate.
    The source class=forum-item main new forum-item
    I tried to key off .new but it is completely ignored. When I save the element rule I get .forum-list-container .forum-item
    Note that .main .new do not appear?!?!

What is troubling me is that I can enter the code into the browser manually and it works as expected, however, if placed into css_addition or css_global, it breaks.

On page load, with code in css_additional, the changes don't appear and the default theme icon is present- Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1335

If I manually enter the code, it works. Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1336

With my old code I had to key off ID and CLASS #forum16 .cell-forum .icon
    This works in a limited way, but I want 2 icons for new/no new posts.
    When I looked at the original template, .forum-list-container .forum-item.inactive.cell-forum .icon is used along with .forum-list-container .forum-item.new .cell-forum .icon, ergo I know my logic in this was not flawed (having discovered the code long after coming up with mine).
    I moved the code around but to no avail.
    So why, oh why, master of the vB/CSS can I not get the below code to work as expected?

Works, but icon is always set the same-

Code:
    #forum16 .cell-forum .icon {
    background: transparent url("/images/CustomIcons/BOS32-NEW.png") no-repeat;
    }

Does not work at all-

Code:
    /* Start custom forum icons v2 */
    #forum16 .forum-list-container .forum-item.inactive.cell-forum .icon {
        background: transparent url("/images/CustomIcons/BOS32.png") no-repeat;
    }
    #forum16 .forum-list-container .forum-item.new .cell-forum .icon {
    }
    /* End custom forum icons v2 */

The CSS for "new" looks good to me but the "old" one does not. Try this:
    Code:
    #forum16 .forum-list-container .forum-item .cell-forum .icon {
        background: transparent url("/images/CustomIcons/BOS32.png") no-repeat;
    }
    }
    By default, all forum icons use the "no new posts" (old) icon. If a forum has a new post, "new" class is added to the forum-item element.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

If it were only that simple.
      Yes, tried that before posting.
      Again, for reasons unknown, it will not key off of .new
      .new does not even show as a rule even though it is listed in the code.
      And with or without .inactive, no change either.
      I have tried to use just a single element and still no affect with either.
      So long as .forum-list-container or .forum-item remain the code breaks I can not figure it out.
      And without .forum-item.new I can not perform the 2 icon change.
      It works as default in the theme, but not as additional code. I have searched all theme elements and find only 2 entries using .forum-item.new
      css_additional as part of the theme and css_global. In each instance, they only set the location of the icon.
      I went so far as to delete the code. Aside from looking out of place, there was no affect. Code returned.

The 2 questions seem to be,
      1. Why does .new in the code no longer appear in the Rules once the page has loaded?
      2. How is it that the default theme code works, manual code injection works, yet code within the css_additional it fails? (no .new to key into, but why)

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
        By default, all forum icons use the "no new posts" (old) icon. If a forum has a new post, "new" class is added to the forum-item element.
        Right. This is why I did the inactive element first and then the active/new. That logic seems fine.

Comment

It's hard to investigate without looking into the actual page but I know your site is private.
          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Sorry about that. Usually I can hammer these things out on my own, at least well enough for my use.
            In theory, as I don't think I've altered any code which would affect this process, the issue should be global to any site.
            Might you test this out yourself and see if it works or breaks?
            If it works, then at least I will know the code is sound and the issue is site specific.
            If it breaks, then we have a mystery

Comment

I have had some progress, and more setbacks.
              I now have the code taking over the default functions and read/unread icons working site wide.
              It seems the .new function was working but getting burried. Applying !important brought the icons front and center

However, now I can no longer seem to get the ID function to work to specify the forum.

Code:
              .forum-list-container .forum-item .cell-forum .icon {
                  background: transparent url("/images/CustomIcons/BOS32.png") no-repeat !important;
              }
              .forum-list-container .forum-item.new .cell-forum .icon {
                  background: transparent url("/images/CustomIcons/BOS32-new.png") no-repeat !important;
              }
              Ideas?

Comment

Using ID with !important doesn't work?

Code:
                #forum16 .forum-list-container .forum-item .cell-forum .icon {
                    background: transparent url("/images/CustomIcons/BOS32.png") no-repeat !important;
                }
                    background: transparent url("/images/CustomIcons/BOS32-NEW.png") no-repeat !important;
                }
                Although !important seems unnecessary as using ID already has more specificity and should override all the other rules. But as before, I can't really provide further ideas without seeing and inspecting the actual page.
                Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Using ID with !important doesn't work?
                  Correct.
                  I can use the class ID and target the forum, but then the icons are buried;
                  or
                  I can use !important to bring the icons to the top, but then no longer target the class ID.
                  Frustrating, and now I see why so many others before me gave up.

AHHH! Just read,
                  The !important rule overrides the class ID property.
                  So it really is one or the other in this case. May have to do a template edit and add a new class.
                  Will see.

Comment

You don't have to edit templates to add a new class. You can use existing class in the DOM to add more specificity to the CSS rule.
                    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

You don't have to edit templates to add a new class. You can use existing class in the DOM to add more specificity to the CSS rule.
                      Use a CSS to add a new CLASS? Oh, do tell, or provide a small sample. I've not come across this in my reading thus far.
                      It could resolve this if I can use the standard ID+Class to target the forum and then add a new class to add the !important replacement icons.

Comment

If you could take a screenshot of the page showing debugging tool and showing applied and overriden css rules, then that would be helpful for me
                        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Okay, this is the PHP generated block of code for forum 16.
                          Forum 16 is the target forum to change the default icon (that is, without affecting all other forums).

Code:
                          <tr [B]class="forum-item main new forum-item"[/B] [B]id="forum16"[/B] data-channel-id="16" data-lastcontent="1475010537" data-readtime="1474920356">

<td class="cell-forum">
                                          <div class="forum-wrapper">
                                              <span [B]class="icon"[/B]></span>
                                              <div class="forum-info">
                                                  <a href="/forum/boards/book-of-shadows" class="forum-title">Book of Shadows</a>
                                              </div>
                                              </div>
                          This is the original CSS generated-
                          Code:
                          element {
                          }
                              background-position: 0px -199px;
                          }
                          Along with the css_additional.css code (This includes both read/unread icons and icons for subforums).
                          Ideally I would have the #forum16 ID proceeding the .forum-list-container to target the specific forum, but with the !important use, the ID can not be used.
                          Code:
                          .forum-list-container .forum-item .cell-forum .icon {
                          }

.forum-list-container .forum-item[B].new[/B] .cell-forum .icon {
                              background: transparent url("/images/CustomIcons/BOS32-new.png") no-repeat !important;
                          }

.forum-list-container .forum-item.sub .cell-forum .icon {
                              background: transparent url("/images/CustomIcons/BOS16.png") no-repeat !important;
                          width:16px;
                          height:16px;
                          }

.forum-list-container .forum-item[B].sub.new[/B] .cell-forum .icon {
                              background: transparent url("/images/CustomIcons/BOS16-new.png") no-repeat !important;
                          width:16px;
                          height:16px;
                          }
                          Which produces (thus far)-
                          Code:
                          element {
                          }
                              background-position: 0px -199px;
                          }
                          [B].forum-list-container .forum-item.new .cell-forum .icon {
                          }[/B]
                          Using
                          Code:
                              background: transparent url("/images/CustomIcons/BOS32-new.png") no-repeat;
                          }
                          I am able to target the forum, but the icon is buried under the default one.

And according to what I read, by adding !important to bring this code to the front, disables the use of ID.
                          Target forum, or, show icon, but thus far not both.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1410

Comment

FYI, looking at your own forum, the same code and processes apply.

Comment

The forum-list-container is the parent of forum-item's which contain the forum ID. So you cannot use this:

Code:
                              #forum16 .forum-list-container .forum-item.new .cell-forum .icon { }
                              What you should use instead is

Code:
                              #forum16.forum-item.new .cell-forum .icon { }
                              Or you can remove .forum-item as using ID already overrides the other rules:

Code:
                              #forum16.new .cell-forum .icon { }
                              And you don't need !important at all. It's not important
                              Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                              X
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"