X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AJAX Channel Updates

I have a client who needs channels to "live update" instead of members having to constantly refresh the screen.

If you can do it let me know if there's a cost involved. Price is an object but not much of one. This is a necessity for his forums.

And, yes, I know dbtech has one but I wouldn't touch their mods with a ten foot pole.

Thanks for your suggestion inomnibus. This is possible.

Is this only for the Topics tab in the Channel page or all the tabs (Topics, Latest Activity, My Subscriptions and Photos)?
    What do you think is a good default AJAX polling time to check for updates?
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• inomnibus
      inomnibus commented
      Editing a comment
      In this case it would be for the individual nodes. The idea would be for a node to update without the user having to refresh or leave and come back to the channel. If it could be set by the administrator to update at different intervals that would be helpful since it would need to update more frequently when posting is high volume and less frequently other times. Every 30 seconds is probably a good default.

Just to clarify, you want the topics/threads in a channel page to be auto-updated for every X seconds. For example, this channel page:

Do you have a great idea for a new vBulletin mod? Post it here and your idea might come into a reality in the future!

Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
      Just to clarify, you want the topics/threads in a channel page to be auto-updated for every X seconds. For example, this channel page:

Do you have a great idea for a new vBulletin mod? Post it here and your idea might come into a reality in the future!

More like this: https://vbmods.rocks/forum/questions...hannel-updates

The ideas is that if there are 100 people all posting in the same thread at the same time that it updates the replies and comments automatically every 30 or 60 seconds.

If this could be turned on and off on a per channel basis that would be perfect. Obviously AJAX is resource intensive so no one would want it functioning on every thread simultaneously.

Comment

Ok got it. If you have multiple threads open in multiple tabs, then it would be more resource intensive.
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

inomnibus, I have figured out the main logic to do this. I will be able to finish the mod soon.
          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

inomnibus, what if a user is editing an existing post or typing a comment? Should the auto-update "pause" so that they will not lose whatever they are typing? We cannot update all the replies and comments except what they are editing. It's all or nothing. Either we auto-update the existing posts and lose the current edits or stop the auto-update.
            Last edited by glennrocksvb; 08-09-2018, 12:42 AM.
            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I have recorded a screencast of what I have so far. See YouTube video below.

Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• inomnibus
                inomnibus commented
                Editing a comment
                Perfect.

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
              inomnibus, what if a user is editing an existing post or typing a comment? Should the auto-update "pause" so that they will not lose whatever they are typing? We cannot update all the replies and comments except what they are editing. It's all or nothing. Either we auto-update the existing posts and lose the current edits or stop the auto-update.
              In that case it needs to be all. The use case for this is such that no one will be going back to look at edited posts, replies, or comments.

I anticipate upwards of 25,000 members all replying in the same channel concurrently.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                glennrocksvb commented
                Editing a comment
                But it would be annoying to the user editing his existing reply or adding a new comment to lose what he is typing when the auto-update occurs.

• inomnibus
                inomnibus commented
                Editing a comment
                Fair point. I don't anticipate many edits but I do anticipate members getting upset if their replies or comments don't save. I thought the autosave would override that but if not then go with "none" as opposed to "all."

• glennrocksvb
                glennrocksvb commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok. Polling for new updates will resume automatically after they saved their post.

Maybe a dumb question but why don't all forums use an auto update?

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                glennrocksvb commented
                Editing a comment
                Not all servers may be able to handle tons of concurrent requests. This mod polls the server for new updates for every X secinds. 30 seconds is the default.

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Glenn

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                I guess this could never be able to be done on the VB cloud?

• glennrocksvb
                glennrocksvb commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes it could be done on vBCloud.

This mod is available now at https://vbmods.rocks/forum/vbulletin...ax-auto-update
              Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
              X
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"