Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Forum Box

Hi all

I'm new, as far as being a admin goes, to the forum world. I run Forum Box which is a new UK focussed political, media & business board.

I started a smf forum in January, but that lacked a basic feature so switched over to phpbb 3.20 a few weeks later. But seeing as 3.2 had only been released, it lacked many features too, so I was stuck pondering what to do.

I am a member of many vbulletin 3/4 boards, but was nervous about getting the newest version of vbulletin considering the very bad press it has had. But I took the decision to buy vb5 three weeks ago and my initial nervousness has not been without merit...

I think vb5, although more than 3 years old, is still a work in progress. Anyway, enough of that, this is Glenn's forum, so I'll talk about his stuff instead.

I purchased Glenn's mods a few weeks ago, but due to the issues with my forum, haven't done anything with them until now.

I have now installed the first mod "display first post in multi page thread" and can confirm it rocks! Have a look here to see it working:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/sit...ns/65-feedback

All I would say to the uninitiated and Glenn is perhaps the instructions could be made a "tad" bit clearer.

You have to copy code which is highlighted in yellow, but you MUST also copy the gaps/all spaces in yellow too, especially the gap at the end of each bit of code which is a blank line. And you must not put any new line breaks in. I got error messages when I first tried it and it took me a couple of goes, but I got there in the end. Obviously, the more advanced admins out there would know this already, but I didn't and it was a bit of a struggle. Also, Glenn put a reference to double clicking on the template name to edit it and this did not work, it just launched a forum page. So, you do need to click on edit to edit.

Teething issues aside, I love the mod and think its essential for any good forum to have it and help keep topics on subject.

The internet is filled with why is (x) mod missing for vb 5, but most of them are cosmetic and non-essential like the bloody arcade games that everyone seems to want (perhaps Glenn might have a go at that..) but I think this Mod of Glenn's is not cosmetic, but essential for helping to run a good forum.

Now I'll go onto the next of Glenn's mods. At this rate, I'll have them all done by Christmas.

Horizon
    Last edited by Horizon; 03-03-2017, 09:49 AM.

Thanks for a nice intro. ​​​And for the constructive review of the mod instructions. I will try to make the instructions as clear as possible especially for the non-technical users.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Your welcome Glenn.

Love the mod.

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
      X
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"