Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello, newbie here!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hello, newbie here!

    Hello,

    I'm a new moderator and admin on a (very old) vbulletin forum and I am learning my way around the world of forums and admin.

    I don't have a technical background (I am a writer and worked in marketing for years).... so this is a completely new world to me.

    So far I feel a little intimidated!

    I'm hoping there will be plenty here to read and learn.

    Thanks everyone.




    #2
    Welcome!

    Does your forum run vBulletin 5, or an older version?
    If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by NumNum View Post
      Welcome!

      Does your forum run vBulletin 5, or an older version?
      Thanks.

      It's older...we're on v 4.1.1 Patch Level 7

      Comment


        #4
        Glenns Mods deal with vB 4 and 5, this is a great resource to use as well, there are vB 3, 4, and 5 forums there.

        https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/index.php
        If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

        Comment


          #5
          Thank you very much. There's a huge amount there to keep me busy a long long time!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by 3036368 View Post
            I don't have a technical background (I am a writer and worked in marketing for years).... so this is a completely new world to me.
            Hi - Welcome to vbmods!!

            Most of us had no tech background when we started in forums and we all remember that time. So feel comfortable, everyone will be kind. I'm like you, I had no tech background at all. In fact, I bought my first PC so I could go online to a forum and here I am 35 years later, and still not techie. I have been blessed with some great tech folks over the years, so I got by. The great news is there is always someone more techie than us around who can answer our questions.

            This site here, Glenn wrote some incredibly good mods for everything under the sun. If you aren't brave enough to install them yourself, he will do it for you (for a very small price).

            If there is one fault I have it is being verbose, so I am going to shut up now. Just wanted to welcome you to the forum!

            Comment


              #7
              Welcome 3036368

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by -merzi View Post

                Hi - Welcome to vbmods!!

                Most of us had no tech background when we started in forums and we all remember that time. So feel comfortable, everyone will be kind. I'm like you, I had no tech background at all. In fact, I bought my first PC so I could go online to a forum and here I am 35 years later, and still not techie. I have been blessed with some great tech folks over the years, so I got by. The great news is there is always someone more techie than us around who can answer our questions.

                This site here, Glenn wrote some incredibly good mods for everything under the sun. If you aren't brave enough to install them yourself, he will do it for you (for a very small price).

                If there is one fault I have it is being verbose, so I am going to shut up now. Just wanted to welcome you to the forum!
                Thanks very much Merzi for sharing your background.

                I’m feeling a bit less like a fish out of water!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by 3036368 View Post
                  I’m feeling a bit less like a fish out of water!
                  What is your forum's main topic, 303? Mine is a bunch of very old forums put together: News, politics, religion and a bunch of others. But the most popular are the first three.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by -merzi View Post

                    What is your forum's main topic, 303? Mine is a bunch of very old forums put together: News, politics, religion and a bunch of others. But the most popular are the first three.
                    Hey, that might be quite similar to mine :-)....

                    Our forum is all about alternative media, alternative science, conspiracies,....

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by 3036368 View Post
                      Our forum is all about alternative media, alternative science, conspiracies,....
                      Yeah - not even close, but AFAIC, there is room for every forum and every topic. We do have a 'Fake News' section in our News Forum, but it's what we consider, well, fake <g>.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by -merzi View Post

                        Yeah - not even close, but AFAIC, there is room for every forum and every topic. We do have a 'Fake News' section in our News Forum, but it's what we consider, well, fake <g>.
                        Ha ha! Yes, much of it is dubious and there is a lot of heated discussion about what can be considered real or true :-)

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by 3036368 View Post
                          Ha ha! Yes, much of it is dubious and there is a lot of heated discussion about what can be considered real or true :-)

                          And the CyberGod said, 'Let there be traffic'! There is nothing in this world better than heated discussion. Not only does the content grow, but the lurker eyeballs are huge.

                          Even though our forums are different, I bet there are lots of replies with quotes in them. You should check out this mod Glenn wrote. It lets users quote a piece of text into their reply instead of having to quote the entire message and either leave all they don't want or need in the post or they have to edit the quoted material, deleting the sections they are not replying to. It's a hateful time waster and something my members complained about nonstop after we moved onto vBulletin. This mod is FREE. Take a look at it. You'll love it.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X