Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VBulletin5 unregistered member hiding link how ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VBulletin5 unregistered member hiding link how ?

How to find hidden links to visitors

What did you exactly mean?
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

VBulletin5 unregistered member hiding link!!

Comment

Did you mean you want to hide links in the posts from guests including search bots?
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by By_umut View Post
          How to find hidden links to visitors
          Easy way set forum permissions so that only registered members can view the forum with the links in

Wise men say nothing Fools never listen

Comment

I'd also like to know how to hide links from unregistered users, the real way.

For Xenforo it requires a modification. Any input on vBulletins way?

Comment

I see 2 possible "hacky" solutions to this and each has its own advantages and disadvantages.
              1. Client-side
                • Removes links in posts dynamically using Javascript.
                • Survives upgrades. No need to re-apply mod after upgrading vB.
                • Guests can't see the links.
                • Search engines can still see the links. Might be good for external links and bad for internal links?
                • Web savvy users might still figure out the links. But for average users, they might not.
              2. Server-side
                • Removes links in posts dynamically using PHP.
                • Does not survive upgrades. Need to re-apply mod after upgrading vB.
                • Guests and search engines can't see the links.
              The above "hacky" solutions take into consideration that currently vB5 lacks suitable PHP Hook location to be able to create an elegant solution.

Which solution do you prefer?
              Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
                I see 2 possible "hacky" solutions to this and each has its own advantages and disadvantages.
                1. Client-side
                  • Removes links in posts dynamically using Javascript.
                  • Survives upgrades. No need to re-apply mod after upgrading vB.
                  • Guests can't see the links.
                  • Search engines can still see the links. Might be good for external links and bad for internal links?
                  • Web savvy users might still figure out the links. But for average users, they might not.
                2. Server-side
                  • Removes links in posts dynamically using PHP.
                  • Does not survive upgrades. Need to re-apply mod after upgrading vB.
                  • Guests and search engines can't see the links.

The above "hacky" solutions take into consideration that currently vB5 lacks suitable PHP Hook location to be able to create an elegant solution.

Which solution do you prefer?
                Well it's not something I currently need, I just thought there might be a solution that did not require an actual modification.

If you had a solution that didn't, I'm sure it would be valuable to some users. That's why I asked. It's not a big deal or anything though. Thanks for the response.

EDIT: I just noticed for client side you put that there's a way with javascript. Sounds interesting.

Comment

There's no BBCode settings to hide a BBCode from guests. So either solution would require some sort of a mod or plugin. Even if there was a suitable PHP Hook location, it would still require a mod.
                  Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                  A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

How about something similar that allows us to hide phone numbers and/or email addresses from unregistered users.

Because users enter their phone numbers in different ways, we'd need to make sure it had the ability to recognize different user formatting, example: 555-555-1234 or (555)555-1234 or 555-1234. Of course, you can this a step further by adding the number 1 in front of the examples.

Comment

Users shouldn't post personal information such as phone numbers and email addresses in a public forum. But to answer your question, there is no BBCode for both so it would be harder as you would have to create a script that parses the content to find a phone number and email looking text in a post.
                      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I tend to agree with you, but because certain parts of my website include ads, that info is the norm.

If this is something you're interested in creating, shoot me a PM and let me know the cost.

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                        X
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"