Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Listen to vBulletin Latest Posts on Amazon Alexa!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listen to vBulletin Latest Posts on Amazon Alexa!

Create an Alexa skill to enable Alexa to speak vBulletin Latest Posts updates from your forum and reach 8.2 million Echo users!

Amazon Echo is the most popular digital voice assistant today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	echo-and-echo-dot.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	26.2 KB ID:	5496

Bring your forum to another level and broadcast the latest posts from your forum to Alexa users in the comfort of their couch or living room without having them to visit your site.

Watch the demo below for this forum (See post #2 for the updated video). This skill will be available soon to all Alexa users around the world once Amazon approves my submission. (EDIT: This has been approved. See http://amzn.to/2uwTqaA or post #3)

If you want to have your own, I can help you set it up for your forum even if you don't have your own Alexa device.
    Last edited by glennrocksvb; 07-26-2017, 08:42 PM.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

I made some core PHP hack to existing vB code to allow Alexa to speak the poster's username, post title and the channel where it was posted to.

Previously, Alexa was just speaking the post content only.

Now, it would be like this:

glennrocksvb started a topic entitled "Hi there!" in "Introductions" channel: Hello everyone!
    Here's the updated video on YouTube:

Last edited by glennrocksvb; 07-26-2017, 01:25 AM.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Good news! Amazon has certified and approved this Alexa skill named "vBulletin Mods That Rock Latest Posts" and it's now available on the Amazon Skill Store.

This means if you have an Amazon Echo device (Echo, Echo Dot and Echo Show), you can get this skill and enable it on your device and hear Alexa speak hourly updates of latest posts from https://vbmods.rocks without visiting the site. Your utterence will be:

Alexa, what's my Flash Briefing?
      or

Alexa, what's in the news?
      This looks like the first ever vBulletin-powered Alexa skill on the Amazon Skill Store
      If you search for "vBulletin" in the Amazon site or in the Alexa app, "vBulletin Mods That Rock Latest Posts" is the only skill in the search results.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alexa.png Views:	1 Size:	38.0 KB ID:	5549

Get it now and enjoy!
      Listen to hourly updates of latest posts from vBulletin Mods That Rock forum. This is a forum dedicated for vBulletin forum owners. It provides free and premium vBulletin plugins that forum owners can use to enhance the functionality of their forum.
      Last edited by glennrocksvb; 07-26-2017, 03:39 AM.
      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Made another tweaks to the code on vB side to replace URLs in the post with the text "[URL removed; visit site to see URL]" and replace code snippets (HTML, CSS, Javascript or any programming code) with "[code removed; visit site to see code]". It wouldn't make sense to hear Alexa spell out the characters in the URL (like it did in the first YouTube video) and in the code.

For example:

Hi there! Please visit this link [URL removed; visit site to see URL]
        Please add this CSS code [code removed; visit site to see code]
        Last edited by glennrocksvb; 07-26-2017, 03:52 AM.
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

This is very intriguing. Interesting that you could pull something like this off. Great work.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            glennrocksvb commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

• glennrocksvb
            glennrocksvb commented
            Editing a comment
            I had to make a core PHP hack on vB to make sure Alexa can pronounce the content by removing or replacing unreadable or unspeakable content. It's not perfect but it works on most cases.

• glennrocksvb
            glennrocksvb commented
            Editing a comment
            Amazon actually rejected my submission on my first try due to that reason. After I did the tweaks, they approved it.

Amazon has an Alexa Skill promotion every month. This month of July, they are giving out limited edition Alexa developer socks and an Echo Dot device to the first 5,000 US developers who publish an Alexa skill between July 1, 2017 to July 31, 2017.

After my skill was approved and published, I filled out the form (see attached link at the bottom) and got an email confirmation that I will receive my free device in 3-4 weeks after the promotional period.

For non-US developers, Amazon has other promotions in the UK, Germany, and India. If you are a university student in those countries, they also have student promotion.

If you are interested in creating your own Alexa Skill for vBulletin 5, then let me know and I can help you. You will have your own skill published and a chance to own an Echo Dot device.
          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Pretty cool, Glenn!

Comment

• glennrocksvb
              glennrocksvb commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
            Amazon has an Alexa Skill promotion every month. This month of July, they are giving out limited edition Alexa developer socks and an Echo Dot device to the first 5,000 US developers who publish an Alexa skill between July 1, 2017 to July 31, 2017.

After my skill was approved and published, I filled out the form (see attached link at the bottom) and got an email confirmation that I will receive my free device in 3-4 weeks after the promotional period.

For non-US developers, Amazon has other promotions in the UK, Germany, and India. If you are a university student in those countries, they also have student promotion.

If you are interested in creating your own Alexa Skill for vBulletin 5, then let me know and I can help you. You will have your own skill published and a chance to own an Echo Dot device.
            Update on this. I received my free Alexa developer socks and Echo Dot today for my participation in the July 2017 Alexa Skill promotion.

See pictures of my swag below

Click image for larger version

Name:	alexa-swag1-m.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	6257

Click image for larger version

Name:	alexa-swag2-m.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	6258

If you are interested in creating your own Alexa Skill for your vBulletin 5 forum, then let me know and I can help you. Once your skill is published in the Amazon Skill store, you'll have a chance to get the same developer socks and a free Echo Dot device that I got.
            Imagine and create unique Alexa skills to bring your big ideas to life. Developers who publish an Alexa skill can be eligible for free Alexa dev perks.
            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
            X
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"