X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topic with attached URL and content can't be removed

We have a new member who made a single post today (first Topic/Post). It includes an attachment URL and message (I'm guessing that's what it is). I can't remove the link and save the post; VB complains about an invalid URL. Images attached. Is this a known bug? Is it fixable?
    Attached Files
    The Linux Community has given me much. I do what I can to return the favor!

I think I know why this happens.

The Topic/Post in question was made by the new user who I had placed in the Users Awaiting Moderation usergroup (in that group before he made the post). I had a Notification for Moderation when he created the Topic/Post, but I hadn't done anything with it.

I was able to move the Topic/Post to one of our Administrator Only areas of the Forum, where there, the attachment and message were clearly present. After having made this inquiry here, I took action on the Notification and Approved the Topic/Post. It appeared in the forum it was created in without the attachment and message.

Our forum is set up so that new registered members can't create links or attachments until they have made two posts, and that was what was making me concerned about the post that was made that included a URL link, and I don't understand why.

Both Registered Users and Users Awaiting Moderation usergroups have Can Create Attachments and Can Create Links set to No.

Comment

The post that was created has a content type of Link (other content types are Text, Gallery, Poll and Video). That's why URL is required. Once a post is created, you cannot change its content type anymore. That's by design whether it's correct behavior or not is up for debate.

The question here is how was the user able to post a link despite having Can Create Links permission set to No and I assume having the Stop in Links mod enabled for Users in Awaiting Moderation usergroup.

Maybe the approval of the post has a bug? It approved the post but the user has no permission to post that kind of content? It shouldn't allow to be approved in the first place. So when the post was approved, was it totally empty? I'm guessing it applied the permissions (as it should) when displaying the post.
      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
      Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
        Maybe the approval of the post has a bug? It approved the post but the user has no permission to post that kind of content? It shouldn't allow to be approved in the first place. So when the post was approved, was it totally empty? I'm guessing it applied the permissions (as it should) when displaying the post.
        That's what's odd about this. Before I moderated the post, I 'moved' it to our Administrative area where only Admins can see it. There, as when I viewed it via the AdminCP in Topics to Moderate, the link was present. When I Approved the Topic, which moved it (?) to the Channel it was created in, the link wasn't present. Removed by VB?

I asked the user what he did when creating the post and this is what he said:
        I was unable to transmit the post without being asked to fill in a verified url. I was confused about that which was the reason i tried a url i knew. How can I avoid that in future postings?
        I have a testing user account on our forum with zero Topics/Posts. I logged in with that and went to the same Channel he posted in and started to create a post. I can't replicate what he experienced, even clicking on the Link icon and immediately closing it, I could post without being prompted for a valid URL. So I don't know what he actually did, and he didn't tell me in the reply. I'm not going to fret over it until and unless it happens again with a new user who is placed in Users Awaiting Moderation "before making a first post".

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          That's what's odd about this. Before I moderated the post, I 'moved' it to our Administrative area where only Admins can see it. There, as when I viewed it via the AdminCP in Topics to Moderate, the link was present. When I Approved the Topic, which moved it (?) to the Channel it was created in, the link wasn't present. Removed by VB?
          I think it was removed by vB due to lack of permission to post a link. I recommend reporting it to vB as a bug.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          I have a testing user account on our forum with zero Topics/Posts. I logged in with that and went to the same Channel he posted in and started to create a post. I can't replicate what he experienced, even clicking on the Link icon and immediately closing it, I could post without being prompted for a valid URL
          You closed the Add Link section? If yes, then it will de-select the Link icon and it's no longer a Link content type but a Text content type which is the default. That's why it didn't require you to add a link.
          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Hmm. See the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 4.33.56 PM.png
Views:	145
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	25459Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 4.38.30 PM.png
Views:	148
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	25460Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 4.38.42 PM.png
Views:	139
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	25461

Comment

The last screenshot is actually a Text content type where you can insert links, images, and videos inline and thus not required. The Link content type has a separate field for URL which is required.
              Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
              X
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"