X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrating from phpBB to vBulletin 5

Will going from phpBB to nulled vB4 to licensed vB5 get me banned?

I'm not even trying to use the unlicensed vB4 for anything at all beyond a means to migrate to vB5. I cannot stress that enough, I simply want to use Impex, and it won't let me until I figure out having vB4

You can install a vB4 forum using a vB5 license.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Really? But I can't download it from the member area. That would make this all soooooo much easier

Comment

helladamnleet, when I log in to vBulletin Members Area, this is what I see:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vb4.png
Views:	141
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	25371

Brad Padgett look at here too.
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          glennrocksvb commented
          Editing a comment
          Of course, you can't have both vB5 and vB4 running publicly at the same time. But if you are just using it to temporarily install vB4 as a bridge to upgrade to vB5, then it should be fine.

glennrocksvb that options not available for me. It only says vBulletin 5 since they removed the ability to download it but using impex there's no possible way. Do you think this is a bug? It said in a forum post they don't provide the download anymore so I don't think it is. But if it's not against their policy and my customer number will still work is what I want to know because I need to transfer my site. If so maybe you could provide me with a download to it.

Comment

When did vB say they removed the ability to download vB4 when you have a vB5 license? Can you post a link to it? I must have missed it.
          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
            When did vB say they removed the ability to download vB4 when you have a vB5 license? Can you post a link to it? I must have missed it.
            vBulletin 3 and 4 are not available on licenses purchased after January 1st, 2020. These packages are no longer being developed and do not receive support updates. In addition to this, the underlying PHP technology they rely on is also End of Life and no longer receiving security updates. This does not apply to licenses

2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Padgett View Post
              glennrocksvb that options not available for me. It only says vBulletin 5 since they removed the ability to download it but using impex there's no possible way. Do you think this is a bug? It said in a forum post they don't provide the download anymore so I don't think it is. But if it's not against their policy and my customer number will still work is what I want to know because I need to transfer my site. If so maybe you could provide me with a download to it.
              Exactly the issue I'm having. There's no free software to do the migration from literally anything else to vBulletin. Even their official guide says to go to 4.2.2 then upgrade from there to 5 using Impex, which they haven't officially supported for over a decade, so the only option I can really see is to pirate 4.2.5, migrate to that, then migrate to 5.

The problem though is I really don't know if that will get my license revoked, even though at this point they've pretty much forced our hands.

Comment

Originally posted by helladamnleet View Post

vBulletin 3 and 4 are not available on licenses purchased after January 1st, 2020. These packages are no longer being developed and do not receive support updates. In addition to this, the underlying PHP technology they rely on is also End of Life and no longer receiving security updates. This does not apply to licenses

2 years ago.
                Thanks for the link.

So you purchased your vB5 license after Jan 1, 2020?

Another option is to buy a second hand license that was originally purchased before that date.
                Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I just bought my license like 4 days ago and have been trying every possible avenue to migrate without getting in trouble.

Digging around with impex for a while though I'm wondering if I even need vBulletin 4, or if I can't just trick it into populating a database then migrating that over somehow. I wish I knew just a little bit more about coding because a lot of it seems like the only reasons Impex doesn't work is because
                  1) It hasn't been updated to newer versions of php and
                  2) vB5 changed a few phrases around

TL/DR: I don't think I actually need vBulletin 4, just a database to populate. I'll keep an eye on this thread and post anything I figure out

Comment

vB4 and vB5 have different database structure. Impex as it is now will never work with vB5.
                    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Right, but they must translate somehow because vBulletin itself can upgrade from earlier versions.

I'm not saying I'm going to run out and update Impex to work with vB5, but I think someone with enough interest in the idea could pull it off

Comment

Right, but they must translate somehow because vBulletin itself can upgrade from earlier versions.

I'm not saying I'm going to run out and update Impex to work with vB5, but I think someone with enough interest in the idea could pull it off
                        I've never looked at Impex, to make the code useful it would depend on how it is coded. If it simply reads in data, formats to vbulletin 4 standards and stuffs it into VB4 tables, then making it work wouldn't be monumental, but would still be a ton of work. If it calls vb4 function function modules, to massage the and store the data, then you would need to replicate all of those in the theoretically updated Impex code as well.

In both cases you would need code to extract data from whichever of the various other systems from which you want to convert.

Then you'd need to trick VB5 into thinking it was upgrading a complete vb4 database.

All this with a global market of probably < 100 one time users, and assuming none of those users have installed extensions that makes the data in the source system look different than you are expecting.

The people that have done all this charge $1000 + for a one time conversion and they hope they get enough business to cover their costs. I do data conversions of financial data for large corporations for a living and I wouldn't touch this. Starting from scratch may actually be somewhat easier.

Comment

Originally posted by twistsol View Post

I've never looked at Impex, to make the code useful it would depend on how it is coded. If it simply reads in data, formats to vbulletin 4 standards and stuffs it into VB4 tables, then making it work wouldn't be monumental, but would still be a ton of work. If it calls vb4 function function modules, to massage the and store the data, then you would need to replicate all of those in the theoretically updated Impex code as well.

In both cases you would need code to extract data from whichever of the various other systems from which you want to convert.

Then you'd need to trick VB5 into thinking it was upgrading a complete vb4 database.

All this with a global market of probably < 100 one time users, and assuming none of those users have installed extensions that makes the data in the source system look different than you are expecting.

The people that have done all this charge $1000 + for a one time conversion and they hope they get enough business to cover their costs. I do data conversions of financial data for large corporations for a living and I wouldn't touch this. Starting from scratch may actually be somewhat easier.

Just seems really odd that you can go from vBulletin to phpBB hassle free, but to go the other way you're pretty much fucked.

I gave up on it. If I could get a refund I would have because I was lead to believe this was something I should have been easily able to do, and the vBulletin devs are obviously in bed with these companies charging insane amounts to run a simple script.

Comment

I just bought my license like 4 days ago
                            So I assume the second hand license you bought was originally bought by the previous license holder after the cutoff Jan 2020 date?

I was lead to believe this was something I should have been easily able to do
                            Whoever told you this might be referring to converting to vB4 and not vB5?
                            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• helladamnleet
                              helladamnleet commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I bought the license directly from vBulletin for full price.

No, when you ask in the pre-sales part of the vBulletin forums they tell you with a straight face "Yeah, sure, it can be done no problem!"

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                          X
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"