Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting out of vb3.8.11_not easy

Hi Glenn,

I am upgrading to 4.2.5 then soon to 5.6.8; and by all means it's not smooth sailing.
    Issues:
    1. Is there any reliable mod/way to add LIKE button on vb4.2.5? I've tried several from vb.org none without errors.
    2. Arabic translation: Up to 4.2.5 is fine, post 5.6.6 there's no reliable Arabic translation for vb5.+ my guess is that between 5.x.0 and 5.6.x there have been several php versions, makes sense?

I really like the look and feel of 3.8.11, the only problem, it does not support smart phones, hence the upgrade to vb4.2.5

Regards

I'm running 5.6.6 and it has a like button built into the software.

Comment

Are you going to stay in vB 4.2.5 for a long time after upgrading from vB 3.8.11? Why don't you just upgrade straight to vB 5.6.8?
      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
      Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Excellent question Glenn.
        I dont feel vb5.6.8 "style wise" has a good look to it, plus many members were not happy with the style saying plain and boring ! So I went back to 3.8.

To answer your question:
        yes I prefer to stay with 4.2.5 as long as it can support smart phones, and I'll be interested in some mods to make it feel a bit more modern.
        on vb5.6.8, in your opinion, is it possible to modify the style to make it look like the main page on vb3 or vb4? second: as I've mentioned earlier, the arabic translation is not that great for vb5.6.8

Note:
        I wanted to add a link to my forum, so you can see exactly what's going on but I guess posting links here is not allowed?

Thanks Glenn

Comment

wwdnet:
          Many thanks for your input, and I was wodering if it's possible to add a like button to vb4.2.5.

Comment

I assume you are aware that vB 3.x and 4.x are no longer supported by vB. And PHP compatibility for vB4.2.5 is only up to PHP 7.1.33 which is also no longer supported by the PHP Group. Eventually, vB3/vB4 would have security vulnerabilities in the future (if not yet at this time) due to old and unsupported vB and PHP versions.

Not trying to convince you to upgrade to vB5 or other forum software right now. Just making sure you are aware of the repercussions of running unsupported software.

Btw, Hanafi of Sultan Theme might have a vB3/vB4 style theme for vB5.
            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
            Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
            Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Yes sir, am fully aware of these facts. In fact I've just posted similar topic over at vb.org.
              For the PHP version, my forum lives in vps where I can control php version.

Upgrading to 5.x.x won't be easy, as I am struggling with the first leg of the upgrade (4.2.5)
              Once that's done, my next step will be vb5.
              have you read my other topic on this forum?
              I guess you've not , I see it waiting for admin approval.

Thanks

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
              X
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"