Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vbulletin 4 or 5

Hi there.

I have a quick question about vbulletin 5. I was reading online reviews, debate and critics. So what features does vbulletin 5 offer over vbulletin 4. And which one is more stable?

If I'll have to build a forum in 2020, which one should I go?

Thanks.

I would recommend moving to xenforo if you do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by NumNum View Post
      I would recommend moving to xenforo if you do anything.
      Why xenforo? What's special over vbulletin 5?

Comment

Xenforo has a large pool of developers of custom mods to choose from, whereas vB5 has little to none.

Comment

Xenforo has a large pool of developers of custom mods to choose from, whereas vB5 has little to none.
          Is this the only reason you was saying?

Comment

There are many reasons, and that is just one. If anyone is contemplating a move to vB5 from either upgrading from version 3 or 4, or just starting out they should first really think about their community and what the needs of it are, and what software will meet those present needs and future needs.

I have been a customer of vBulletin for over 12 years. I started with version 3, and eventually upgraded to vB5. My site has no real need for custom mods (fortunately), so it has worked for me. But not without headaches. The staff at vBulletin has been very supportive, and this is not a ding on them.

Xenforo and Invision community are two quickly growing software forum providers. Xenforo developers are a group that left vBulletin to form their own company. Invision community is a completely different group, but both have a promising future with their development, and marketing plans. They both deserve a good looking into for anyone considering upgrading/changing/ or starting a community.

I manage 6 sites. One is Invision, one is Xenforo, and 4 are vBulletin. When the owners of the vBulletin sites ask about upgrading, I'll be moving them to one of these 2 forum software based on the community needs. None will be remaining on the vBulletin platform when I'm done.

Take your time and make your decision. Both of those forum software companies offer free trials, play with them. Think about;
            • reliability
            • performance
            • security
            • SEO
            • upgrading process
            • import tools
            There are a lot of things to consider. Here is a great resource.

Comment

There are many reasons, and that is just one. If anyone is contemplating a move to vB5 from either upgrading from version 3 or 4, or just starting out they should first really think about their community and what the needs of it are, and what software will meet those present needs and future needs.

I have been a customer of vBulletin for over 12 years. I started with version 3, and eventually upgraded to vB5. My site has no real need for custom mods (fortunately), so it has worked for me. But not without headaches. The staff at vBulletin has been very supportive, and this is not a ding on them.

Xenforo and Invision community are two quickly growing software forum providers. Xenforo developers are a group that left vBulletin to form their own company. Invision community is a completely different group, but both have a promising future with their development, and marketing plans. They both deserve a good looking into for anyone considering upgrading/changing/ or starting a community.

I manage 6 sites. One is Invision, one is Xenforo, and 4 are vBulletin. When the owners of the vBulletin sites ask about upgrading, I'll be moving them to one of these 2 forum software based on the community needs. None will be remaining on the vBulletin platform when I'm done.

Take your time and make your decision. Both of those forum software companies offer free trials, play with them. Think about;
              • reliability
              • performance
              • security
              • SEO
              • upgrading process
              • import tools
              There are a lot of things to consider. Here is a great resource.
              I've checked, most xenforo does not have what I need. Gallery features. So you think vbulletin 5 is no longer future?

Comment

Originally posted by faustvasea View Post
                I've checked, most xenforo does not have what I need. Gallery features. So you think vbulletin 5 is no longer future?
                Xenforo does have a photo gallery. It just doesn't meet your needs?

I have my concerns and doubts on vBulletins future. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Comment

Xenforo does have a photo gallery. It just doesn't meet your needs?

I have my concerns and doubts on vBulletins future. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.
                  I've checked, it does but it's extra pay
                  . And also idk how it's works.

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                  X
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"