Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vB5 photo image attachment uploads

I have a couple of questions, if I may?

1.If the size (pixels) of an image uploaded exceeds the allowable size for that file type, I understand that image will be resized to the allowable limit. Is the original over-sized original then discarded or is it stored on the server or in the database (I'm interested as I pay for storage per byte on my server0.

2. My observation is that image file metadata is stripped out, regardless. I run forums for people interested in photography and the camera (exif) metadata is important to them - does anyone have a suggestion for preventing the metadata from being stripped out?

Thanks!

For anyone interested, I sort of answered my own questions:

1. The official response on the vbulletin.com forum is that if an image is resized (reduced in size) the original is discarded, which is good as massive images won't clog up my server storage.
    2. vBulletin's official line is that retaining embedded image metadata is a security risk. That's a shame as my forum users enjoy looking at the camera settings used to take the shots being displayed. I guess the work around is to extract the interesting fields from the metadata (camera ID, lens ID, exposure information, etc.) and include it as text next to the photo.

Comment

Originally posted by imager View Post
      For anyone interested, I sort of answered my own questions:

1. The official response on the vbulletin.com forum is that if an image is resized (reduced in size) the original is discarded, which is good as massive images won't clog up my server storage.
      2. vBulletin's official line is that retaining embedded image metadata is a security risk. That's a shame as my forum users enjoy looking at the camera settings used to take the shots being displayed. I guess the work around is to extract the interesting fields from the metadata (camera ID, lens ID, exposure information, etc.) and include it as text next to the photo.
      Old post I know but I looked at this myself. You need to take in to account you can also see the location of where the photo was taken which is a massive security risk.
      VB 5.5.5 has the option to enable it and after finding this out I've disabled it.
      I was hoping they used the data to orientate the photo's

Comment

• imager
        imager commented
        Editing a comment
        People posting photos on my forums are photographers and many of their cameras actually don't record location information. They are also aware of the issue of location data if using their phones, etc. vB 5.5.5 has been a hit with my users because of the metadata visibility provision. If you don't want/need it you can turn it off.

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
    X
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"