X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to hire a vBulletin expert to update our site

Hello Glenn, You were recommended to me by support at vbulletin.com. We've been running a tile and stone advice vBulletin site since 2001 at https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin . We are long overdue for an update. One major goal is to have a decently served mobile page.

I've done the site admin forever and have tweaked it quite a bit but don't have time for much of that anymore, and I'm a tweaker not a coder. I need a professional to do this upgrade work for us. Would you be interested? Please let me know, and we can take the discussion further.

I tried sending a pm with more detail but couldn't get it posted, maybe because I'm new to your forum?

Thanks,
    Dave

You're on vB 3.7.4. What version do you want to upgrade to? vB5?
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Likely, but I'm open to advice.

Comment

Have you requested a vB trial demo at https://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb5-trial/?

You will lose all your customizations and third-party plugins in vB3 if you upgrade to vB5. Not all features on vB3 are on vB5 and vice versa. It's only you who can decide what features you can live with and without.
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Yes I did, but have just begun to play with it a bit. It's so different I need to rtfm I think. Main concern is keeping all our content and the ability to accommodate our advertisers.

Comment

You will definitely keep the content when you upgrade. You can put global ads in the header, drag and drop Ad modules onto the pages and put ads inside the first and last posts in a topic. I have a mod that moves the first post ad to between first and second posts.
            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

If you notice on our forum, the top banners rotate every 10 seconds or so. Do you know if there is any way to do that, or alternatively to have it produce a random ad from a small list every time a page is served? We have several sponsors that post to that location and they need equal time up there.

Comment

I have a banner system plugin that displays a random ad on top of every page.

Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Hi Glenn, that's perfect. Sorry for my delay in response, day job has been overwhelming.

Do you know of any sites with the vBulletin app for android and iphone? I'd like to see what they are like. A lot of our users like to be able to upload photos (we like to host the photos shared by our members rather than them using image hosting sites). We have tapatalk but I don't like using it and when we move to vb5 I'm hoping we can offer an app. Although I'm finding the mobile interface to vb5 on the demo site I set up at vbulletin.com doesn't seem too bad.

Comment

You can install the official app for vBulletin support forum. Search for vBulletin Community Forum in the app store.

But even without the native mobile app, vB5 can be accessed using mobile browser. vB5 is using Responsive design so it is mobile-friendly in the browser.
                    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Thanks. I've played around with vBulletin 5 demo a couple of times to see if I could use the built in features to install and maintain our advertisements. I've struggled with them quite frankly. Trying to add ad modules to the right side of a page is rather painful due to the very slow response of the interface. There are parts of the many steps involved that take forever for the page to refresh. Is this normal or is it just because of their demo server being overloaded do you think?

Another issue is that we like our ads to show on every page, ie the forum view, post view, reply view, etc. It seems I have to edit every one of these pages individually with the built in system, is this correct or is there a way to globally add an ad module everywhere? This wouldn't be a one time impact for me because I regularly get requests to change ad images and would have to edit every page if I couldn't do things globally.

Thanks for your patience, I really need to update our forum but need to make sure this is going to work for us.

Comment

Maybe the demo server is just overloded

Another way to put ads globally is via template hook system. That's what I used in the Random Banner Ads mod I linked in post #8
                        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                        X
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"