Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do not show signature unless members have written a certain number of characters

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do not show signature unless members have written a certain number of characters

I am interested in setting up a forum, so members signatures do not show in their posts unless they have written a certain number of characters.

Any luck glennrocksvb ?

Best,
    Chris
    HostXNow - UK Web Hosting

Certain number of characters or posts?
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

A certain number of characters in a post as in the length of the post has to have at least, e.g., 500 characters for a members signature to be displayed in their post. Just a way of ensuring quality content is written on the forum, and they don't just say "Hey! That information is excellent! That will help me a lot" just to get a dofollow linkback for SERPs reasons. If they do manage to type e.g., 500 characters but clearly a load of fluff, then Mod can take further action.

The above is 475, so 500 might be a bit high. Say 425-500, but of course, that could easily be customised once the code is ready for it by updating the value to be checked.

Comment

Originally posted by webgeek247 View Post
        A certain number of characters in a post as in the length of the post has to have at least, e.g., 500 characters for a members signature to be displayed in their post. Just a way of ensuring quality content is written on the forum, and they don't just say "Hey! That information is excellent! That will help me a lot" just to get a dofollow linkback for SERPs reasons. If they do manage to type e.g., 500 characters but clearly a load of fluff, then Mod can take further action.

The above is 475, so 500 might be a bit high. Say 425-500, but of course, that could easily be customised once the code is ready for it by updating the value to be checked.
        Nothing to do with your request but just bringing up the point that you can make all your external links "nofollow". Hopefully that deters some spammers.

AdminCP > Settings > Options > BB Code Settings > Add nofollow attribute to URL BB Code.

Enjoy,
        William

Comment

Originally posted by William View Post

Nothing to do with your request but just bringing up the point that you can make all your external links "nofollow". Hopefully that deters some spammers.

AdminCP > Settings > Options > BB Code Settings > Add nofollow attribute to URL BB Code.

Enjoy,
          William
          Thanks for mentioning that incase I didn't know. But I do want to allow dofollow for those who write quality content and help other members out, etc. It's nice to give some incentive. Just having this type of custom coding in place will help prevent a lot of fluffy posts and decrease workload for the staff.

Comment

Ok I got it now. This would require editing vBulletin templates due to lack of suitable PHP hook events when a post and signature are displayed.
            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Ok Glenn. Any idea how much that will cost? I know it's cheaper if you share the mod with everyone rather than just charge me for the code only.

I have another idea for a mod but will create a new Topic for that.
              Last edited by webgeek247; 03-13-2017, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Any idea how much that will cost? I know it's cheaper if you share than mod with everyone rather than just charge me for the code only.
                You're right. But this specific mod seems to be a special need for your particular forum only. I am uncertain that other forum owners would be interested in such a mod.
                Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
                  You're right. But this specific mod seems to be a special need for your particular forum only. I am uncertain that other forum owners would be interested in such a mod.
                  Ok. This one isn't as important as the other one I suggested (advertising limits) and so I'd rather see how much that one is before paying for this one.

Thanks.

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                  X
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"