Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting admin's posts / and prevent moderators of merging users posts

Hello guys,

I had a vb forum before (v4) for 5 years but for some reasons I dropped it years ago.

Now I have decided to create new vb forum (v5) and I have some concerns back to the old days and wanting to secure many things in advance before facing old problems happened before.

The first thing I wanna do is preventing any moderators or super moderators of editing the admin's posts/topics also wanna deny moderators of editing super moderators posts/topics.
    I used a hack before to do this on vb4 but I can't find it now.. So is there any help I could find here for what i need?

The second thing is I wanna give the moderators and super moderators the ability to manage topics/posts except "the merging ability" because I saw many forums before getting destroyed by such ability, no matter the moderator meant to do it or did it by mistake, and if there wasn't a fresh backup it won't restore to a good case.

Sorry for this start up post as request but I really need those modifications very urgent.
    And thanks in advance.

Years ago Glenn made CSS for just these situations. I have the "note pad" hidden and just two options on the cog are available for moderators. "approve posts and move posts to another forum" no merging or anything is visible. I agree it can screw up your forum badly

I paid Glenn specially for these, so I rather not post it here. I'm sure he will reply

Comment

• Bibo Beast
      Bibo Beast commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks buddy, let's wait him then

Hiding an inline moderation menu option can be hidden per usergroup using CSS as Mitch mentioned. But it's not a foolproof solution. Anyone can unhide it if they know CSS and they figured out how it was hidden using the CSS.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
      Hiding an inline moderation menu option can be hidden per usergroup using CSS as Mitch mentioned. But it's not a foolproof solution. Anyone can unhide it if they know CSS and they figured out how it was hidden using the CSS.
      Sorry, they can edit it without privileges?!

Comment

The option (e.g. Merge Posts) in the inline moderation dropdown is hidden via CSS but a knowledgeable user could inspect the page (right click > Inspect) and unhide the option.

There may be alternative fool proof solutions but it may require more complex coding using PHP and if you are on vBCloud, it is not allowed to run custom PHP script.
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

The option (e.g. Merge Posts) in the inline moderation dropdown is hidden via CSS but a knowledgeable user could inspect the page (right click > Inspect) and unhide the option.

There may be alternative fool proof solutions but it may require more complex coding using PHP and if you are on vBCloud, it is not allowed to run custom PHP script.
          Now I got you.

I don't think most of moderators are experts that much, at least let's put a brick in the road.

Could you please - of possible - tell me the codes I should edit via CSS? For both, deny anyone except the admin of merging any posts/comments.
          ​​​​​​And editing prevent moderators of editing Admin's posts.

I'm on vb5.6.4 connect
          And thanks in advance.

Comment

Hiding the Edit button from Moderators in Administrators' posts is trickier than hiding the Merge Posts option. The CSS solution supports the latest versions of Chrome, Safari, Edge and other Chrome-based browsers but unfortunately not Firefox (yet, hopefully this year!). Hiding Edit button requires more CSS code than the Merge Posts option because the Edit button appears in multiple places across the site.
            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Hiding the Edit button from Moderators in Administrators' posts is trickier than hiding the Merge Posts option. The CSS solution supports the latest versions of Chrome, Safari, Edge and other Chrome-based browsers but unfortunately not Firefox (yet, hopefully this year!). Hiding Edit button requires more CSS code than the Merge Posts option because the Edit button appears in multiple places across the site.
              I have had a product before doing it directly on vb4, the merging prevention, so I thought it's something available for vb5 also

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Why not just do what I have. Forget about hiding the edit button.
                Hide the note pad and just have two options showing under the cog. See my above post

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                  Why not just do what I have. Forget about hiding the edit button.
                  Hide the note pad and just have two options showing under the cog. See my above post
                  You said that you paid for it... So ☺

Comment

I will release it publicly as a paid mod soon.
                    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I created a simple tool to easily generate the CSS code with just point and click.

Click image for larger version

Name:	restrict-inline-moderation-permissions-tool.png
Views:	36
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	26777
                      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I created a simple tool to easily generate the CSS code with just point and click.

Click image for larger version

Name:	restrict-inline-moderation-permissions-tool.png
Views:	36
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	26777
                        Perfect one, but it's missing "merge topics"
                        ​​​

Comment

I will add that.
                          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I like this new idea. Much more controllable than my version. I think I'll upgrade once it is ready

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                            X
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"