X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Close Old Topics after x period of time

vB 4 had MODs for this. Here is one: https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/show...=243402&page=4

The ability to automatically close topics to new posts attempted by other than the original poster, moderator, or administrator, is useful. The occasional spammer who makes it into a forum, often targets 'old' topics in which to post spam.

Can something along this line be created for vB 5?
    The Linux Community has given me much. I do what I can to return the favor!

I'll see if that is feasible with vB5. It looks like the mod you linked auto-closes topics after a user attempts to post a reply? The act of posting triggers the auto-close instead of having a Scheduled Task to auto-close a topic after a period of time so the users would never have a chance to attempt to reply.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

The MOD we used to have in vB4 allowed for setting an amount of time (# of days) after last post was made and would then close the topic. It didn't require an attempt by someone to post. It was a custom MOD IIRC. It took an Admin to reopen it (and possibly a Moderator; I don't remember).

The MOD we had was written by MarkFL at vbulletin.org. My old notes said the MOD was called: Auto-Close Old Threads v1.0

This was written for me by MarkFL on vBulletin.org after my request for a MOD that would auto-close threads after a specified period of time (days), so as to stop the occasional necro-posting (posting to very old threads). I don't see it on vbulletin.org however; just checked.

Comment

Thanks I somehow miss this addon.

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
          I'll see if that is feasible with vB5.
          Did you forget about this (sorry), or ....

It is really annoying to have posts made to really old threads.

Comment

I wrote a database routine that does this in VB4 by modifing the Threads table on anything that hasn't seen a post in 5 years + 1 month old. Probably not too different from whatever a mod would do as a Cron job.

Comment

Starting to work on it now. Thanks for the reminder.
              Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

👍 Thanks!

Comment

This mod is now available at:

Are you looking to enhance the efficiency of your forum community and ensure it stays fresh and engaging? We have the perfect solution for you – introducing the "Auto-Close Old Topics Cron" mod! As a forum owner, you understand the importance of keeping your community active, organized, and up-to-date. Outdated and
                  Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                  A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                  X
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"