Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AutoLinker ability to search thread for post numbers

Hi Glenn,

I am creating a forum where it is necessary to look at other posters posts consistently. I am looking for an easy way to link it. I purchased AutoLinker for other purposes, but was curious if it were possible to do this?

Ideally, if someone posts #15 it would look in the current thread and hyperlink post 15. If AutoLinker cannot do it, does anyone know a way to go about this?

Thank you!

No, that mod cannot do that. I will look into it.

Thanks for the purchase BTW.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by VoidKitten View Post
      if someone posts The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog it would look in the current thread and hyperlink post 15
      What if the user actually meant something else and not really referring to post #15? That's the problem with autolinking it without context.
      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

And besides, vB5 already has a built-in autolinker for node IDs. Notice post number 15 in my quoted post in my previous reply was autolinked to a thread which happens to have a node ID of 15.
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Oh I agree. It was an example of what I was looking for. Even if it was something like Post# as the trigger and it looks immediately after the # for an up to 4 digit post number and hyperlinks that.

Anyone doing Post# would know it would link.

I also have other things I wish were possible and am unsure if VB mods could do it or if external scripting languages would be required and then hooked in, such as JavaScript.

if you’d be willing sometime, I’d like to send you my thoughts and see if it’s possible to do. If it is and you’d be willing to create it I’d gladly compensate you for your time spent .

Thank you for being awesome and responsive!

Comment

If the trigger is Post# (e.g. Post#15), then it could work for the possible mod without being autolinked natively by vB5 because there's no space before the # sign.
            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

That would work well. Post# or p# for being short.

For context, since I was running around yesterday. The website is to play forum mafia. Since it requires a lot of analyzing posts, occasionally it is easier to just link to a post instead of quoting it, or just calling attention back to it. Being able to have someone just say "Hey go look at p#15 and see what you think" and the p#15 turns into a hyperlink for post 15 would be such a huge quality of life improvement.

The other thing I am working on is to see if I can make it so searches show the entire post. I have a button that calls a search based on the thread and the poster. It will isolate all that players posts so they can be reviewed all at once. On desktop, they show the "show more" button to make quotes/longer text appear, but mobile does not which I only just realized. I am trying to see if there is a way that the search displays the entirety of the post with no limits.

Again, appreciate the conversation so far and you passing along your knowledge!

Comment

Originally posted by VoidKitten View Post
                The other thing I am working on is to see if I can make it so searches show the entire post. I have a button that calls a search based on the thread and the poster. It will isolate all that players posts so they can be reviewed all at once. On desktop, they show the "show more" button to make quotes/longer text appear, but mobile does not which I only just realized. I am trying to see if there is a way that the search displays the entirety of the post with no limits.
                The "See More" link is hidden by default on mobile using CSS. You can unhide it by adding this in css_additional template:
                Code:
                .l-small .post-links .see-link.more,
                .l-small .post-links span {
                    display: inline-block;
                }​
                .l-small .post-links a.goto-post {
                    padding: 0;
                }​
                Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
                  The "See More" link is hidden by default on mobile using CSS. You can unhide it by adding this in css_additional template:
                  Code:
                  .l-small .post-links .see-link.more,
                  .l-small .post-links span {
                  display: inline-block;
                  }​
                  .l-small .post-links a.goto-post {
                  padding: 0;
                  }​
                  This fixed it right up. You are the best.

Please let me know if the mod in this thread could become a reality. I am in no major rush so take your time and will gladly purchase it once done.

Short and sweet - Make it so anytime someone does p# followed by up 5 digit post number (p#*****) and make the entire think hyperlink to the current thread's post, that would be great.

Thanks again!

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                  X
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"