Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all

Hi i am willie,
    As a long time user of vbulletin i go way back to vb3.0.1 @ the moment i am on 5.2.6 and i must say i am very pleased with it specifically how easy it is to change the way it looks creating a new skin i am the type that is not scared to take risks about upgrading as soon as a new version is released even if it is an alpha release.
    But i always backup my database before i do it that way if things go tits up i just restore the backup reup the original files and am back the way it was.
    Any way enough chatter just posting to say hi
    Wise men say nothing Fools never listen

Hi willie53! Welcome to the forums. You rock!

Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I thought i would recreate a situation that happened to me a couple of weeks ago and how i solved it.
      I got into the habit a few years ago of backing up my database atleast once a night sometimes twice depending how busy it got but in the situation that happened i was going to add a php module to my forums and was not sure how or if it would work so i backed up the database about 2 minutes before adding the module video demo of how i got my site up and running again within less than 30 seconds when the module i was going to use went all wrong.

The video demo may not be as professional as some out there but the method i used worked for me the demo can be found
      here

Comment

Thanks for sharing the video. But in that particular scenario, if a PHP module (or HTML module or Ad module for that matter) breaks the site, you don't have to restore the database from a backup. You just have to temporarily disable rendering of PHP/HTML/Ad module. You do that in AdminCP > Settings > Options > General Settings > Disable PHP, Static HTML, and Ad Module rendering > Yes.

And to avoid breaking the site caused by invalid PHP/HTML/Ad module, here are the following rules:
        1. Do not include PHP open and close tags <?php and ?> (for PHP module only)
        2. Do not include <html>, <head> and <body> tags in the module. The module has to output the main content only (the ones inside the body tags) without those tags which the site already has. Having duplicate tags will break the layout of the page.
        3. Make sure the module outputs valid HTML markup. Having unclosed tags (e.g. <div> without </div> tag) may break the layout of the page.
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by willie53 View Post
          I got into the habit a few years ago of backing up my database atleast once a night sometimes twice depending how busy it got but in the situation that happened i was going to add a php module to my forums and was not sure how or if it would work so i backed up the database about 2 minutes before adding the module video demo of how i got my site up and running again within less than 30 seconds when the module i was going to use went all wrong.

Hi Willie,

Like you I backup my database before doing an update or doing something in depth.

For regular backups though, I made a Cron job that auto backups my website throughout the day and night. Right now I have it set to backup every six hours and only keep 7 days worth of backups on file (so as to not take a horrendous amount of space). Thought you may want to take a peek. I'm sure someone more savvy than I could probably help you custom tailor the code to your server's needs in case the code does not work. It took me awhile to put this script together which were found scattered across the web

The MySQL Dump Code for Cron

Enjoy,
          William
          Last edited by William; 03-03-2017, 11:29 PM.

Comment

In my case, I use automysqlbackup script. It can create daily, weekly or monthly backups. And you can do backup rotation to only keep x number of backup files. It can also send email notification when a backup is done.

AutoMySQLBackup is a clever script that takes the pain out of setting up automated incremental daily, weekly, and monthly backups of MySQL databases. Its only dependency is the mysqldumpcommand, which comes with mysql-client. AutoMySQLBackup dumps your databases at whatever intervals you desire, and rolls them up into compressed tarballs. Then you can copy the tarballs to other …
            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys glennrocksvb you learn something new every day what i was really trying to do was get a live rss feed to display the latest virus threats from sophos i did have it working using java but the ssl cert would not display it saw it as a threat hence the php module will try it your way later after a little sleep.

William i do have a cron job set up to run once a day i do a manual one every time i make changes to any of the files like upgrading as i always update to the latest version even in alpha release
              Regards
              Willie

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
              X
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"