X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The benefits of using Sphinx search

I'm curious on what the benefits are of using sphinx search, and how it pertains to database quiries.

The reason I am asking as I just upgraded a site to 5.3.3 from 5.1.6. I had to remove several styles from upload just to avoid server time outs. But the biggest problem I ran into was after the upgrade, when I ran the "Rebuild Search Index." That process took me almost 12 hours as it caused server disconnects and I had to wait ontilthe site came back on line, only to run the next segment until the site got disconnected again. Each segment lasted about 8 minutes before the db closed the door on me.

The host has the site throttled to 300,000 queries an hour. Thats my problem.

So looking to see if Sphinx would be a benefit.

Originally posted by NumNum View Post
    I'm curious on what the benefits are of using sphinx search, and how it pertains to database quiries.

The reason I am asking as I just upgraded a site to 5.3.3 from 5.1.6. I had to remove several styles from upload just to avoid server time outs. But the biggest problem I ran into was after the upgrade, when I ran the "Rebuild Search Index." That process took me almost 12 hours as it caused server disconnects and I had to wait ontilthe site came back on line, only to run the next segment until the site got disconnected again. Each segment lasted about 8 minutes before the db closed the door on me.

The host has the site throttled to 300,000 queries an hour. Thats my problem.

So looking to see if Sphinx would be a benefit.
    I "was" interested in Sphinx search too, but it seems to be an issue for some.

For example:

You do know Sphinx requires a dedicated or vps server?

Enjoy,
    William

Comment

I did not.

No need to think any further on this. Thank you, William! 👍

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
      X
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"