Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know how to successfully install vbulletin 5 connect on localhost?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know how to successfully install vbulletin 5 connect on localhost?

Hello does anyone know how to do this? When I do it the css is always broken. glennrocksvb what's your setup and how do you test your mods? Straight from the website? Or do you have a localhost installation.

If you have any good tips I'd love to hear them.

Reason is I wanted to use the hooks and see if I could create something after practicing. Of course it would be a while before anything serious got made.

Did you rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess?

Are you on Windows? If yes, it will not allow you to rename to .htaccess as it will think the file is just an extension without filename. The trick is to rename the file to .htaccess. (note the leading and trailing dots)
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I just so happen to have a few video tutorials that i made on my youtube channel will post link later
      Wise men say nothing Fools never listen

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post

Are you on Windows? If yes, it will not allow you to rename to .htaccess as it will think the file is just an extension without filename. The trick is to rename the file to .htaccess. (note the leading and trailing dots)
        I use windows IIS it does not use .htaccess but uses web.config instead
        Last edited by willie53; 03-29-2017, 05:59 AM. Reason: made a typo

Comment

Right. But you can use WAMP or XAMPP on Windows and that uses .htaccess
          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

you are correct i did have wamp and xampp on my laptop and **** would have frozen over first before i could install vb5 connect started to use iis and never looked back

Comment

I don't know what was hard for you to use wamp or xampp but it was easy for me. You just drop the vB files in its own folder under htdocs in xampp.

Here's my setup in one of my computers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	xampp-min.png Views:	1 Size:	5.6 KB ID:	3613
              To access it: http://localhost:8088/vb523

And since this set up is using Apache it is closer in production as most forums use Apache and not IIS.
              Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

That's valuable information right there. I think I'm going to give that a try. I'll let you know how it goes. And yes on Windows.

Comment

Agreed I use iis for the simple reason it is just to test various things also I can use a friendly name ie: mystyles.com instead of local host which has another advantage I can update my sites locally and once I am happy with it l just upload the the files and import the modified database which is the way I created my latest theme

Comment

You can use your real domain name on your localhost if your server is using the default port 80. You do this by changing the hosts file located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Code:
                    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx mystyles.com
                    Change xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the IP address of your computer. You can find your IP address by typing ipconfig in the Windows command console (cmd).

You have to open the hosts file with an Administrator access in order to edit and save it. To do that, right click on Notepad and click Run as Administrator. Then from there, open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

After saving the file, type ipconfig /flushdns in the command console to clear the DNS cache.
                    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Well I just installed 5.2.6 on localhost. CSS still broken after changing the .htaccess to have an ending period. I'm not really going to sweat it for now but if you have any ideas on how I could fix the .htaccess on windows let me know.

Comment

After renaming it, does it display as ".htaccess" without the ending dot?

Click image for larger version  Name:	htaccess-min.png Views:	1 Size:	6.7 KB ID:	3624
                        What are you using by the way, XAMPP, WAMP or IIS?
                        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

After renaming it, does it display as ".htaccess" without the ending dot?

Click image for larger version Name:	htaccess-min.png Views:	1 Size:	6.7 KB ID:	3624
                          What are you using by the way, XAMPP, WAMP or IIS?
                          I'm using Xampp. And it doesn't display that way, it stays a text or .txt file even when I add the ending dot.

Comment

I think the "Hiding extensions for known file types" option is checked in the Folder Options (Organize > Folder and search options > View tab)? You have to uncheck it so that file extensions show up in the files.

Click image for larger version  Name:	extensions-min.png Views:	1 Size:	18.1 KB ID:	3630
                            Then when you rename htaccess.txt, you have to remove the "txt" part.
                            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I think the "Hiding extensions for known file types" option is checked in the Folder Options (Organize > Folder and search options > View tab)? You have to uncheck it so that file extensions show up in the files.

Click image for larger version Name:	extensions-min.png Views:	1 Size:	18.1 KB ID:	3630
                              Then when you rename htaccess.txt, you have to remove the "txt" part.
                              Wow thanks that worked! So awesome.

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                              X
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"