Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you upgraded your vB forum from version 4 to version 5? Why did you do it?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you upgraded your vB forum from version 4 to version 5? Why did you do it?

Glenn has already explained to me some of the advantages and disadvantages of vB 5 is against vB4.

I have a 4.25 forum. I also have a version 5 licence which I bought a few years ago that we never carried out the upgrade.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody who's done this. How easy was it? Why did you do it?

Thanks

For our site, our admin left in June of 2012 and I took over as admin in January of 2015. Nothing had been done in the 2 and a half years in between. We upgraded from 3.8.7 to 4.2.2 in April of 2015 and then to 5.2.2 in May of 2016. We upgraded to 4.2.2 to get the CMS since our articles were all stored as .pdf files and navigated to with a hand coded .html page which was a pain to maintain. The upgrade to 5.2.2 was to get a responsive style and also our site had been built based on vbAdvanced which had been abandoned by the developer and broke the VB mobile style in 4.x. Since that upgrade, we've been able to upgrade php to 7.1.x and mySQL to 8.0.x.

Our site was fairly simple so we didn't lose any important functionality that wasn't replaced by native functions in vb4 and vb5. The functionality lost was Chat and Calendar, both of which were little used and have now been added back to vb5.

It wasn't easy, see my post here. https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/show...97#post2596497

Even though our site was simple and we had very few extensions it took weeks of work and testing, building a new style from scratch, and fixing stuff that was broken or limping along for years.

Comment

Thanks for this. I understand most of what you said!

Do I gather at the end of the day that it was worthwhile?

Comment

I read your post on VB org. Very nice summing up of the situation. Thanks

Comment

It was painful in the short term but worth it in the end.

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
          X
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"