X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Mod Replace Smiley Toolbar Button with Emoji Button for vBCloud

Starting vBulletin 5.5.6, Emoji support has started. This makes the good old Smileys obsolete and redundant. If you want to get rid of smileys in the editor, then this mod is for you! πŸ™‚

Note that in order to use Emoji, your database must use UTF8MB4 character set and collation. Then you must enable Emoji in AdminCP > Settings > Options > Message Posting and Editing Options > Enable Emoji in CKEditor. To convert database into UTF8MB4, follow these instructions.

How does this mod work?
    Once mod is installed and Emoji is enabled in AdminCP, you will see yellow emoji buttons in the editor. Please see screenshot below. Notice the Smiley button has been replaced by the Emoji button.

Click image for larger version  Name:	emoji-buttons.png Views:	2 Size:	36.4 KB ID:	24683

Clicking any of these 2 buttons will show the emoji popup. If the Advanced Editor is closed, clicking the emoji button next to the A button will automatically open the Advanced Editor and then the emoji popup.

Click image for larger version  Name:	emoji-editor-popup.png Views:	2 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	24684

If Emoji is disabled in the AdminCP settings, then this mod will not replace the existing Smiley button and the Smiley button will work as is.

Compatibility:
    This mod is compatible with vBCloud. This is actually also compatible with self-hosted vB5 but a more efficient version and easier to install can be found here.

Screencast Demo:

Download for FREE:
    vB5 - Replace Smiley Toolbar Button with Emoji Button (vBCloud version).zip
    Last edited by glennrocksvb; 02-21-2023, 09:56 PM.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Just a quick question on this Glenn.

Is it ok to leave the old smilies as they are for now or do they all need deleting first before implementing this?

If left I assume it won’t affect past posts but if removed then they will disappear from past posts.

Comment

Smileys in existing posts will still be there. This mod simply hides the Smiley button and its panel in the editor and replaces the button with Emoji button.
      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Thanks Glenn, that’s what I hoped would be the case πŸ‘

Now to explain why smilies are a thing of the past to the membership πŸ˜‚

Comment

I think users will embrace it. Emojis are the thing now. And the good old smileys have an inherent problem of being parsed unintentionally as smileys in some cases you didn't intend to use one.

I will soon enable Emoji here once I converted my database to the required charset and collation.
          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

So the old smileys won't be selectable anymore? I'm running windows 8.1 at home and 7 in the office. Emojis don't show properly on these platforms. Many are broken... I'm sure alot of my users are also using older versions too

Comment

If your users are using old systems that don't support or has incomplete support of emoji, then it's not recommended to use this mod.

For Windows emoji support, please see the compatibility chart on this page.

Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                Glenn
                Thanks for the chart. At this time it would not be prudent for us to convert.

I did it yesterday that way ...... glennrocksvb
              -
              If you make changes to a database, make a BACKUP first!

Convert table words and table text to "utf8mb4_general_ci".
              AdminCP Settings / "Texts: Create and Edit" / "Enable Emoji in CKEditor" "Yes". If no error message appears, that's good.

I clicked on the "text" table in my database in phpMyAdmin. The tables are listed.
              Select "Select All" at the bottom, then click "Operations" at the top.
              Under table options select "Change all column collations" - select the collation to "utf8mb4_general_ci".
              and click "OK" directly below. A warning appears, but since you have a backup of the DB, you can ignore it and click "OK".
              Do the same with the "words" table and have fun with the emoijs!

Comment

I have downloaded the .zip on my pc but how do I install it on vbulletin?
                thank you. glennrocksvb

Comment

roy2023, there is a readme.txt file included in the zip file.
                  Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                  A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                  X
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"