Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Import a Xenforo Board to vBulletin Using Impex and the Impex Module on vb.org

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Import a Xenforo Board to vBulletin Using Impex and the Impex Module on vb.org

DISCLAIMER: You must make backups before attempting this. According to the developer of the Xenforo Impex module it works on any version of Xenforo that is in the range of 1.5.x. It worked for me on 1.5.12 Do not blindly attempt this without creating and keeping available backups. Also monitor the PHP version your on and make sure it's compatible with Impex. If it's not then don't bother trying it.

This is a simple tutorial on how to successfully import a board from Xenforo to vBulletin. More than likely this will always work as long as your Xenforo board is on Xenforo 1.5.x

I will also mention the process is similar to any other impex import however you need to delete all the polls in the source database. It is required in order for this to work. If you have a larger board this can be an issue. However if you are able to delete polls this won't be a problem.

Okay first you will need to download impex which can be found here:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ighlight=impex

Then you will need to download the impex module created from this third party developer

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...=Xenforo+Impex

Now edit ImpExConfig.php with the proper database details. Pick your passcode and change the impex folder to "impex".

Now download and install vBulletin 4.2.2

Make sure it's not the newer versions but actually 4.2.2 as this is the version number to use on vbulletin.org

Upload the impex folder to the directory your vBulletin files are in.

Now in order for the 'Import' button to show at the top in the admincp you will need to move the file named cpnav_impex found in the impex folder to > includes/xml

Next get your Xenforo Impex module files and upload the Xenforo folder to the systems folder in impex.

Now when you login to your admincp the import option will be available.

Before you begin with this I need to make one thing clear. It works but there is one thing it throws an error for. That's polls. In order to get this to work you will need to delete all the polls on your forum. If there's a single poll on your forum it WILL NOT work. If your forum has no polls then this will work.

Now simply run the modules and they will all work without an issue. After this all you need to do is update forum information, update thread information, update post counts, update user names, fix broken user profiles... etc. Pretty much just running the required general update tools.

Now your board is imported. You will need to merge the imported admin account with your own admin account. It should have imported_ before your username. Go to merge users and select you want to merge the imported user with your actual admin username. Merge them and then you are finished.

After this you can now upgrade to vBulletin 5 Connect. Make sure everything is like you wanted, take extra backups, and than proceed to upgrade to vBulletin 5 Connect.

I know this will help a lot of people and I hope it does. This worked for me on 1.5.12 without issue. Of course my board was very small and had less than 100 posts. I still know it would work on a larger board. I wasn't able to import avatars because I didn't set the directory path up but I'm sure that would work too if you did it.

Thanks for sharing!
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

What made you upgrade to vbulletin? I am considering starting a new forum either with Xenforo or vbulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by 420 View Post
        What made you upgrade to vbulletin? I am considering starting a new forum either with Xenforo or vbulletin.
        Hey, I actually just reverted my site back to Xenforo. Both are good options. Xenforo has a lot of community support about it and there's tons of mods made plus Xenforo 2 is fixing to release. However vBulletin has more admincp options and is better for a more professional vibe. It's all about the user and what they need to have on their site. If you want a professional vibe with more admincp options choose vBulletin. If you want a site that can have numerous customizations to them then choose Xenforo.

Comment

There will be some version for xenforo 2.2 and vbulletin 5

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
          X
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"