X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid Mod Display First Post on All Pages in a Multi-page Thread

This mod enables the first post to stay at the top of all pages in a multi-page thread. There are a couple of mods for this for vBulletin 4 but nothing for vBulletin 5 until now.

There are a couple of use cases wherein you would want to always display the first post in all pages:
    1. To minimize off-topic replies and comments that are not related to the first post. This makes moderating the posts for moderators and administrators easier.
    2. To make the ad in the first post always visible to the users.
    In vB5, pagination of threads is using AJAX to navigate through pages in a thread and there's no option to disable it. This means that when you navigate to previous or next pages, the web page does not reload. There are issues with this current implementation:
    1. If you have an ad in the first and/or last posts, it will not render when navigating to that page upon clicking the previous, next or page number button or upon entering a number in the page number field and pressing the Enter key.
    2. If you have an ad outside the thread (in the header, footer or anywhere on the page), it will not reload the ads when navigating to the pages in a thread, thus user would see the same ad and they would likely ignore it resulting in low click-through rates.
    This mod fixes those issues by disabling the AJAX pagination while at the same time displaying the first post on all pages. This means that your first post ad will display all the time while users are reading the thread. Optionally, you could also move the ad from inside the first post to in between the first and second post (or succeeding post for page 2 and above) by installing the How to put ads after first post in a thread on vB5 without using plugins free mod.

Notes:
    1. This mod requires editing an existing vBulletin template. This change is unavoidable because the existing conversation template lacks hook locations to be able to insert the first post at. Since we can't use template hooks and we are editing an existing template, there may be template merge conflicts in future upgrades and you would have to resolve them after every upgrade if that happens. The code changes in the template are minimal and the likelihood of having merge conflicts during an upgrade is low. But in any case, applying the template changes is easy.
    2. See William's note in post #3.

Instructions:
    Please refer to the installation document included in the file.

Screenshots:

Page 1

Click image for larger version  Name:	page1.png Views:	1 Size:	184.0 KB ID:	338

Page 2
    Click image for larger version  Name:	page2.png Views:	1 Size:	169.3 KB ID:	339

Price: $20

Payment Accepted: PayPal or Debit/Credit Card

Buy Now Add to Cart View Cart

Need help or not comfortable installing this mod? Purchase the installation service below:

Product Installation Add-On: $20
    Purchase this product add-on to get professional installation of this mod from us.

Add to Cart View Cart

Don't have a PayPal account yet or want to use a new account to purchase this mod? Sign up with PayPal now and get $5 reward!

Want to pay using Credit/Debit Card? Contact us and we will send you an invoice where you can use your own card.

Last edited by glennrocksvb; 12-30-2017, 02:54 PM.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Added screenshots...
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

If you store css style sheets as files and cache templates as files be sure to disable those features and then reenable them. The changes will not display until this is done.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        glennrocksvb commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the helpful note. But isn't it only for cached templates? I don't think CSS stored as files would matter.

• William
        William commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably, my personal habit is to disable them both and reenable them at the same time. Awesome mod Glenn. This should definitely help members and especially moderation keeping the threads from being derailed.

• glennrocksvb
        glennrocksvb commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for supporting my mods!

I had very positive feed back on this addition to my site. Topics are staying on topic to a greater degree, with respect to the Original Post.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        glennrocksvb commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for providing actual proof of effectiveness of this mod to your site in regards to minimizing off-topic replies.

• gcombe74
        gcombe74 commented
        Editing a comment
        that is good info.... people tend to go off topic quick...

...and the next nice mod that i have installed - this function was a wish of member from my forum

I have to take out a loan if this continues with the good mods

Comment

Thanks! lol
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

What to do with the file - widget_conversationdisplay ?

Comment

Did you follow the instructions in the readme file?
            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Glenn, I need your help with the installation of this mod.

Comment

Found an issue that Kevin Sours resolved and it was due to one of the edits here in the conversation widget: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-17300

Perhaps you can look into this, Glenn, and see if this was actually due to this Mod?

Enjoy,
                William

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                  glennrocksvb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll take a look.

William, if you restore the edits except the allowHistory part, does this mod work without affecting the hash in the URLs?
                Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Hello Glenn,
                  Are there any way we can setting some certain sub forum only of this mod?
                  I meaning some channel I want is normal and some of them I want to setup like this mod.
                  Thank you so much.
                  Kind regards,

Comment

I'll consider adding that as a mod option.
                    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• hoangzu
                      hoangzu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you Glenn,
                      Please let me know whenever your update this mod. So far now I disable it because I just need some certain sub-forum of this mod.

• glennrocksvb
                      glennrocksvb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      When I release a new version of this mod, all the customers who purchased it will be notified.

Hi
                    I bought the code
                    But I lost the code ... Can I send it back
                    Is it possible to add a shopping cart to the site until you return to the code at any time?

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                      glennrocksvb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Do you know the order id? Or what is the Paypal email you used? PM it to me.

A private message has been sent

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                    X
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"