X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Mod Add Google Translate to your vB5 Forum

How do you make your vBulletin 5 forum available in different languages without using language packs? There is a way to allow people who do not have English (or the forum's default language) as their first language to read your forum by integrating it with Google Translate. The advantage of this over language packs is it translates all the textual content (including the posts) of your forum. But note that since Google is translating the content in real time on every page load, you will see a flash of the original content while it is being translated.

This mod adds a dropdown containing the available languages in Google Translate. The dropdown is displayed next to the username (or Edit Site if Admin).

Desktop:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	61 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	26015​

Mobile:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	22 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	26016

CSS Customizations:
    If the "Powered by Google Translate" is not readable due to dark background, you can fix it with this custom CSS:
    Code:
    .goog-te-gadget,
    .goog-logo-link {
        color: #fff !important;
    }
    .goog-logo-link img {
        padding-left: 3px;
        padding-right: 3px;
        background: rgba(255, 255, 255, .9);
        border-radius: 3px;
    }​​
    To remove the lines/border to the sides of the Google Translate widget, add this custom CSS:
    Code:
    #google-translate-container {
        border: 0;
    }

​Please download the appropriate file for your forum below.
    Google Translate by vBMods.rocks (self-hosted).zip
    Google Translate by vBMods.rocks (vBCloud).zip
    Last edited by glennrocksvb; 01-26-2023, 08:46 AM. Reason: Added "CSS Customizations" section
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Excellent! Thank you Glenn. Works fine and indeed, with real time translation.

Comment

Glenn, can the powered by google be removed? On my site it is hard to see with our background, plus it makes a space separation that was not there before, along with two lines which are visible because of the dark background.
      The default VB has languages at the bottom header. What is the difference of this mod?
      In the bottom header options, I don't see a way to turn off or remove that default language option.
      Maybe it would be better to place it at the bottom header out of the way?

Comment

Technically, you can hide the Google branding/attribution but I think you are not allowed according to their branding guidelines

The language dropdown in the footer is for the language packs installed on the forum. It translates the site content but not the user-generated content (posts). If you want to "disable" all your non-English languages and just keep one language (English), then edit each language and set "Allow User Selection" to No. If there's only one selectable language, the dropdown will not appear to regular users but will still appear to Admins (that's by design).
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          PM sent

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the other info,, I got rid of those footer languages

I've edited the first post to add CSS Customizations section to fix unreadable Powered by Google Translate text and remove the lines to the sides.
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

If you want to translate just the user-generated content (posts) and not the entire forum, then check out these Post Footer Translate Button mod for self-hosted vB5 and vBCloud.
          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I have similar mod for 4xx, but it's in the footer. Would it be difficult to move it where yours is?

Comment

Originally posted by oldfan View Post
              I have similar mod for 4xx, but it's in the footer. Would it be difficult to move it where yours is?
              tried it, didnt look as good as yours lol. I like the translate in the postbit better

Comment

Originally posted by oldfan View Post
                I like the translate in the postbit better
                I only have that mod for vB5.
                Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I removed the powered by Google so it may look better now. Is there another format or image that can be used ?

Comment

Based from my link in post #4, you are not allowed to remove/change the Google logo and attribution. Proceed at your own risk.
                    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
                      Based from my link in post #4, you are not allowed to remove/change the Google logo and attribution. Proceed at your own risk.
                      thanks

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                      X
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"