Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting errors after installing it etc. e.g.

Can I pay you to install and fix it? my domain has ssl etc..

thanks

cheers
    pete

Comment

Starting vB 5.3.4, Open Graph meta tags have been implemented. But it is not as complete as this mod. Their implementation does not pick up the first attached image in the first post of a topic. It doesn't also have the Twitter Card meta tags.

Another thing is their Open Graph meta tags cannot be turned off or disabled. So if you want to keep this mod, there will be duplicate description, url and image og tags. I don't know if that is bad but if you want to remove the duplicates like I do, then you'd have to comment out some of the default meta tags in the header template.

Code:
      <vb:comment>
          <meta property="og:description" content="{vb:var page.metadescription}" />
          <meta property="og:url" content="{vb:raw baseurl}{vb:var page.url}" />
          <vb:if condition="$vboptions['facebookfeedimageurl']"><meta property="og:image" content="{vb:var vboptions.facebookfeedimageurl}" /></vb:if>
      </vb:comment>
      Add the <vb:comment></vb:comment> tags in red around the description, url and image og tags.
      Last edited by glennrocksvb; 03-13-2023, 09:19 AM.
      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
      Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

would this allow me to get a html widget to work that will display facebook's pages plugin ? (like box)

Comment

• NumNum
        NumNum commented
        Editing a comment
        What version of vB are you running?

• glennrocksvb
        glennrocksvb commented
        Editing a comment
        No. This mod is for when your page is shared on Facebook, Twitter or other Open Graph supported sites, the first attached image (if any) of the first post in a thread shows up on the shared post.

Comment

Unless you are looking for something other than the Facebook/Twitter share buttons, this version has it. You’ll need to activate it in the admincp

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
          vB5.3.4 Conflict:
          Starting 5.3.4, Open Graph is implemented by default. But it still lacks all the features of this mod at this time. So this mod is still better than the default. Please see post #47 in this topic or read this quoted post for more details:
          Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
          Starting vB 5.3.4, Open Graph meta tags have been implemented. But it is not as complete as this mod. Their implementation does not pick up the first attached image in the first post of a topic. It doesn't also have the Twitter Card meta tags.

Another thing is their Open Graph meta tags cannot be turned off or disabled. So if you want to keep this mod, there will be duplicate description, url and image og tags. I don't know if that is bad but if you want to remove the duplicates like I do, then you'd have to comment out some of the default meta tags in the header template.
          Code:

<vb:comment> <meta property="og:description" content="{vb:var page.metadescription}" /> <meta property="og:url" content="{vb:raw baseurl}{vb:var page.url}" /> <vb:if condition="$vboptions['facebookfeedimageurl']"><meta property="og:image" content="{vb:var vboptions.facebookfeedimageurl}" /></vb:if> </vb:comment>
          Add the <vb:comment></vb:comment> tags in red around the description, url and image og tags.

​​​​​
          Please vote for this JIRA to resolve the conflict:

The JIRA http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-17924 has been fixed in 5.4.0 which seems to be the next version after 5.3.4. This will allow you to disable the default Open Graph and resolve its conflict with this mod.
          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• NumNum
            NumNum commented
            Editing a comment
            Good news!

Does this work for cloud ?

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            glennrocksvb commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorr no. It requires uploading product xml which is not allowed in vBCloud.

All,

I have released version 1.2 of this mod to fix the below issue:

When the first attached image was not an image file (e.g. zip file) and the next attachment was an image, the generated Open Graph Meta tag for image did not use the next attached image but instead used the default fallback image. It should now use the first available image in the attachments (not necessarily the first attachment in the list) if any.

All customers who have purchased this mod previously have been emailed containing the download link.
          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Great mod! I purchased it earlier today and installed it without problem.

Unnecessary background story as to why I went ahead with this purchase: I was trying to find a good fix for my automatic RSS to Twitter IFTTT applet that broke. After my site's upgrade to vB 5.4.5 from 4.2.1 last month it stopped pulling the first image in each article to include with the tweets. The applet used to read from my RSS feed then pull the article title, link, and the first image attachment in the article and post it to Twitter. vB5 seems to have broken that particular despite my RSS feed showing the proper content (images include) without issue in Facebook, Feedly, and Flipboard feeds. Either that or the way IFTTT parses RSS is broken. Either way...

I eventually just removed the part of the applet that tried to include an image, leaving just with the title and URL in the automatic tweets. Otherwise, it would never find any image in my articles and always display an ironic "Image Not Found" image. Go figure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TGN_Twitter1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	15674Click image for larger version

Name:	TGN_Twitter2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	15675
            Old and busted, but automated from IFTTT | New and shiny via the mod but manually posted

With this mod, I can just post the new article and manually tweet it out after it goes live. I already manually post my new articles to Google+ as it is. Since that's going away soon enough, it literally won't be any extra work for me.

And this sure as **** beats the ~$100 per year for something like dlvr.it that I would have to pay. Their free service limits you to just 3 posts per day with a 3 hour delay in between each feed pull.

Comment

Thanks for your purchase Zips! I've added the buyer badge to your postbit.

Meanwhile, I checked your site and I noticed the default image is too small - 100x100.

Facebook requires at least 200x200 size.

Name:	image.png
Views:	123
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	15677

While Twitter has a minimum size of 300x157 or it will stretch the image.

Name:	image.png
Views:	135
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	15678
              Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

All,

I have released version 1.3 of this mod to fix the issue where an image attached in the first post using the Camera icon was not picked up and used in og:image meta tag. Please see Version History in the first post for more details.

All customers who had purchased this mod have been notified via email that contains the download link. For those who haven't yet upgraded to v1.2 which I just released 3 days ago, you can skip that version and install the latest v1.3 instead.
                Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Thanks Glenn!

And yeah, I noticed that earlier about the default image being too small, but didn't update it yet. I just updated it a moment ago to a 200x200 image for the time being. I'll figure out a more permanent image to use soon.

99.99% of the time though, I'm tweeting out a direct link to a new article, not to the main index itself. So it's typically not an issue. For what it's worth, the IFTTT applet wasn't finding any image to use for Twitter while every other feed was fine. Facebook, even before this mod, updated just fine with the proper images and that one is also using a specific IFTTT applet. I suppose it's just one of those things and the fault lies more-so on the side of IFTTT than anything else.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Just updated to 1.3 without issue. Thanks!

Comment

Yup I confirm the 1.3 version is working very well.

also upgrading from v1.2 to v1.3 was so easy and smooth .

Gotta give it to you Glenn , not only that you were able to develop this solution way ahead of the vbulletin team itself , but you were also able to make it perfect in quite a record time.

Thanks alot Glenn you made our day !

Comment

Thanks for the nice feedback Anton Rahman!

tom hanks thank you GIF
                      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

you most certainly earned it, looking forward to more of your great work !

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                        X
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"