X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Mod Temporary fix for the vBMessenger popup issue in Chrome 59

Starting Chrome 59, the vBMessenger chat window opens in a new tab instead of popup. See related discussion in vbulletin.com here.

Upon investigation, I found out that Chrome doesn't like location=yes or location=1 window popup features when calling window.open() in Javascript. This option turns off/on the browser's location bar and this used to be allowed. But it has long been disallowed for security reason (e.g. any malicious script could open a login popup window without address bar to pretend it is a login page from a bank). So it looks like Chrome 59 decided to ignore the entire specified window popup features if it has the unnecessary "location" option. Setting location=no or location=0 doesn't work anyway, so it is a useless option.

I opened a JIRA for this issue at http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-17444 to remove the location option in window.open. I don't know when vBulletin will fix it. I have a temporary workaround solution below if you can't wait for the official fix.

Copy and paste the Javascript code below to head_include template in Style Manager in AdminCP.
    Code:
    <script>
    (function() {

// cache the original window.open function
        var origWinOpen = window.open;

// override the built-in window.open function
        window.open = function(url, target, features) {

// there are multiple variations (location=yes, location=1, location\x3dyes, location\x3d1), so just replace 'location' with 'dummy' for simplicity's sake
            features = features ? features.replace('location', 'dummy') : '';

// call the cached original window.open function
            return origWinOpen(url, target, features);

};
    })();
    </script>
    For vBCloud, editing templates is not allowed. But you can utilize the Search Engine Verification option in AdminCP > Settings > Options. Set "Enable Google Ownership Verification" to Yes. Paste the code above to the "Google Ownership Verification HTML tag" textbox. If it already has existing code there, don't overwrite it and just paste the code below it.

Watch out for the JIRA status. Once it's officially fixed by vBulletin, you should remove this temporary solution.

Edit: This has been officially fixed starting vB 5.3.3. You have to remove the temporary fix starting that version.
    Last edited by glennrocksvb; 12-20-2017, 12:24 AM.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Works great Glenn, hope you keep this thread updated if you notice they fix it.

Enjoy,
    William

Comment

Thanks Glenn, works like a charm.

Comment

Thankyou Glenn, it worked perfect

Comment

This issue is fixed in the upcoming 5.3.3 version. When that is released, you don't need this temporary fix.
          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
          Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
          Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the info!

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
        X
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"