Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Search Module That Rocks (with forum name)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid Mod Search Module That Rocks (with forum name)

Are you finding the default Search module lacking the forum name when using the default view? Take a look at the default Latest Topics module below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	latest-topics-default.png Views:	1 Size:	50.0 KB ID:	454

It would be nice if you know which forum name those latest posts belong, wouldn't it?

(Note: vB has since updated the Search Module to display the forum/channel name long after this mod was created. But it displays the forum name below the post content and prefixed by "Channel:". If you're fine with that, then you don't need this mod. But if not, then you may want to consider looking into this mod.)

Take a look at this one. Much better, right?

Click image for larger version  Name:	latest-topics-thatrocks.png Views:	1 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	455

Another nice thing with this mod is you don't have to modify any existing template. Just install the product and the "Search That Rocks" module will be available in Sitebuilder for you to drag and drop onto your page and configure just like how you do it with the default Search module.

Click image for larger version  Name:	search-that-rocks-sitebuilder.png Views:	1 Size:	38.0 KB ID:	456

Demo:
    Please see the Latest Topics and Paid Mods modules on the homepage of this forum.

Instructions:
    Please refer to the installation document included in the file.

Version History:

v1.3
    - Fixed issue for the username links in the module to be compatible with the new Name Card feature that was introduced in vB 5.6.6.

v1.2
    - Added the new Module Permissions feature that was recently added by vBulletin to the modules.

v1.1
    - Added support for vB 5.2.6 which introduced a new content type Events. Without this, Events will not show up in this custom Search module.

v1.0
    - Initial version.

Price: $10

Payment Accepted: PayPal or Debit/Credit Card

Buy Now Add to Cart View Cart

Need help or not comfortable installing this mod? Purchase the installation service below:

Product Installation Add-On: $20
    Purchase this product add-on to get professional installation of this mod from us.

Add to Cart View Cart

Don't have a PayPal account yet or want to use a new account to purchase this mod? Sign up with PayPal now and get $5 reward!

Want to pay using Credit/Debit Card? Contact us and we will send you an invoice where you can use your own card.

Last edited by glennrocksvb; 01-21-2022, 06:15 PM. Reason: Released v1.3
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Hi Glenn,

Question. Is there a way to increase the amount of words in the preview? I'd like to increase this to a few sentences:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	687

Comment

I think there's a setting for that in AdminCP. I'll post when I find it.
      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
        I think there's a setting for that in AdminCP. I'll post when I find it.
        I thought it was in the admincp and changed the character count in a few different places, cleared cache and template cache, but no go. I didn't know if that was related to this mod, or none of the admincp settings were ever related, or that I have another issue. I dunno, but I really don't mind having to hack a file to make the changes.

Enjoy,
        William

Comment

Did you modify AdminCP > Settings > Options > Forum Display Options (forumdisplay) > Length of Topic Preview Text? After modifying that, clear system cache in AdminCP. And in your case, you need to also clear template cache. And probably the CloudFlare cache too?
          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Did you modify AdminCP > Settings > Options > Forum Display Options (forumdisplay) > Length of Topic Preview Text? After modifying that, clear system cache in AdminCP. And in your case, you need to also clear template cache. And probably the CloudFlare cache too?
            Yes, that has seemed to only do the activity view option, which I have set to 1500 characters, but doesn't seem to affect the search module:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	704

Comment

Could you try with the default Search module?
              Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Could you try with the default Search module?
                The default search module is identical. Of course with the exception of displaying categories. Glenn, I don't expect you to go beyond the design of your product, but if you know an easy way to hack or modify the module's files, I am okay with that.

Thanks, and enjoy,
                William

Comment

I tried on a dev installation of 5.2.3 and the preview length setting works on the Search module.
                  Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                  A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

That only complicates matters for me!

I have reset every cache, including memcached and haven't a clue as to why the changes are not appearing.

Thanks though for your help and assistance Glenn!

Enjoy,
                    William

Comment

Mod works great Glenn, I'm very happy with your addition to my forum.

Enjoy,
                      William

Comment

Originally posted by William View Post
                        Mod works great Glenn, I'm very happy with your addition to my forum.

Enjoy,
                        William
                        Thanks for the feedback William!

Were you able to fix the preview text length issue?
                        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

No, I wasn't. But it seems that some posts are displaying more than the default characters. Can't figure that out. LOL, seriously, when saying to clear cache though, I must clear site cache, template cache, static cache, memcached, and Cloudflare. I had done all the above, the resulting character length is what displays. It really isn't a big deal, I'm just happy to have the addition of the forum categories which I think Vb should really have included by default.

Love your mods, Glenn,
                          William

Comment

This works great! I'll definitely look into more paid mods from you, but sadly it's gonna have to wait a bit. I might have some custom requests for you in future, when money isn't really an issue.

Take care, and keep up the good work!

Comment

works fine ... thx glenn

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                              X
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"