X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting to the next level

I'm a moderately competent old school cobol / assembly / ABAP programmer with very little experience in modern languages. I've found a few tutorials on creating widgets and other mods for VB5 but what I've found is pretty lightweight. I've mad a couple of changes on our site, some css and a modified version of the birthday module to resolve an issue we had with it, but it's basically trial and a lot of error.

How do you get to the next level? Is there any documentation anywhere of class structures or a data dictionary for the VB database. Just making some changes to the route table to correct for obsolete links to our articles from previous software was a painful exercise.

Is trial and error really the only way?

I just added useful links module in homepage. You may know some of them but check it out.

If you want to learn more about modern languages (in general not in the context of vBulletin), I recommend you to take Udemy classes online.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Thanks Glenn, I've seen a few of these, but not all. I've actually started the Udemy Complete Web Developr's course.

The missing piece for me is more vBulletin specific. Learning c++ or PHP or really any other programming language is easy; learning and understanding the class libraries, APIs, structures, etc. and their interactions for Windows develpment is a huge undertaking. Then relearning everything for MacOS development is just as much effort and both of those are heavily documented.

When I was a teenager in the 70's I learned to code by looking at code changing stuff to see what happened. I almost feel like I'm back there with vBulletin with the added complexity of objects vs the relative simplicity of straightforward procedural programming. I probably just need to be more patient, which not my strong suit.

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
      X
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"