Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redirecting from old forum to new - best practices?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redirecting from old forum to new - best practices?

Hi everybody,

I have a particular scenario and I'm trying to figure out which is the best way to approach it.

We currently have a small but dedicated community at a .com site which is running vBulletin 4.2. We've tried with the vBulletin stuff to transfer this to a vBcloud5 installation, but all attempts failed.
    We have therefore decided to keep the old site as an archive and relaunch our community fresh on a .net site, running a standalone version of vB5 (no migration of content)

At the moment the new site is still somewhat under construction, but I would like to start redirecting people from the old site to the new.

However there are some caveats:
    1. As mentioned, the plan is to keep the old site as an archive for members to view, at least for the near future.
    2. Since we are intending on migrating this old .com installation to a much cheaper server, we (i.e the admins) still need access to do some work on the site, such as deleting hundreds of thousands of old empty topics (we drew from many RSS resources to create 'closed topics' for several years....you won't believe the database headache...).
    3. So what I am looking for specifically are one of two options:
      • Either a full redirect (301?), but such that I would still be able to give my users a way of accessing the old site without being redirected.
      • Placing a countdown redirect for like 5 seconds, which gives the user the possibility of cancelling and remaining on the old site (pretty sure i've seen this applied somewhere).
    I'd like to know if any of you have any experience with something similar and i'd appreciate any advice on whether this is even possible to do

Thanks

Should any of the pages in the old forum redirect to a single URL in the new forum (since content was not migrated and they are independent of each other)?
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

As far as I would like, all pages from the old forum should redirect to the single home landing page of the new forum (I don't know what this does SEO wise to the new site though)

Comment

I'm not an SEO expert. You should consult with one first in order to determine if redirecting the old site to a different and independent site is good for SEO.
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Thanks, but as far as actually pulling something like this off, do you have any idea?

Comment

Yes. This would require custom coding specific to your needs.
            Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
            A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
            X
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"