X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contacts List popup on vB4

During my recent efforts to fix a problem that I posted about a few days ago on here, I stumbled upon a seldom discussed feature in vB4 that I discovered by mistakenly clicking on a link titled "Contacts" somewhere on one of my forum sites. I failed to take note of just where the link was located, since I was heavily focused on other things at the time. But I believe it may have been present under My Settings > Networking... or it could have been somewhere else altogether. (And please know that it's *not* the Friends & Contacts page I'm referring to.)

When I clicked on the above mentioned link, it brought up a small window on the left upper portion of my screen containing a list of my contacts, each with an on/offline indicator beside the name. Strangely, though, now I'm unable to find this "Contacts" link anywhere on either of the two forum sites.

I did a bit of research and found that both vB3 and vB4 have this feature buried somewhere deep within their mechanisms. I leaned that I am able to bring up a full-window version of the list by typing the following URL into my browser:

https://www.my.forum.url.com/my.forum.path/misc.php?do=buddylist&buddies

However, that bare URL obviously won't bring up the small buddylist style window that I happned upon the other day. I have no clue where the link for that small list window is hiding. Does anyone know where I can find it or how I can enable it? I've searched through all of the options and menus but have been unable to locate it anywhere.

Fixed. It's a navbar menu option titled 'Open Contacts Popup' that's included in the default vB4 (and I believe default vB3) configurations. I'm not sure how I missed it on my test forum. But on my public forum it became buried in the navbar menu structure at some point when I rearranged its submenus.

The original javascript url call would not work anymore on either forum (I don't know why - it did work several days ago). It would open a "URL not found on the server" error page upon link click. Below is the original code string that wouldn't work:

Code:
    javascript://window.open(getBaseUrl() + 'misc.php?{session.sessionurl}do=buddylist&focus=1','buddylist','statusbar=no,menubar=no,toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=250,height=300'); return false;
    So I replaced the above string with the following one and the popup buddylist now works perfectly again:

Code:
    misc.php?do=buddylist&focus=1?{session.sessionurl_q}do=buddylist&focus=1&"onclick="window.open(this.href,'targetWindow','toolbar=no,location=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=250,height=300'); return false;
    I have to say that I'm surprised no one at least replied to comment on where the menu item should be on a default installation. I am replying here with what I did to fix the issue in case someone discovers the same problem in the future and wants to fix it.

Comment

Glad you figured it out. And thanks for sharing.
      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
      Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
      X
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"