X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange problem with vB4

I have a public vB4 forum as well as a test vB4 forum on a separate physical server. The latter resides in a password protected directory at a data center that is not in any way affiliated with the data center that hosts the public forum.

I was experimenting with text and background color schemes today on the test forum. Suddenly, I found that I was no longer able to open templates or expand template groups by double-clicking them in the admincp. I thought this strange, so I checked my trackball mouse and found it was working properly. I rebooted the laptop computer I was using and rechecked the issue. Double clicks still would not work to open templates or expand template groups. I then connected to the admincp of my public forum site from the same laptop computer. Weirdly, double clicking would not open templates or expand template groups there either. So I powered on a separate computer and loaded the admincps of both forum installations on it. Neither admincp session would allow me to open templates or expand template groups, just like on the laptop.

Does anyone have an idea what may be going on? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks for reading.

Edit:
    I forgot to mention that I switched browsers (Google Chrome to Firefox) and the issue persisted. I'm at a loss.

Some more information... There is what appears to be some peculiar php code (it's always the same string) showing in the control box on the style manager template screen. It's brand-new since this problem emerged several hours ago and it manifests identically on both forum sites and on both computers. That peculiar string is as follows: <font color=Edit " id=edit1 onlick=Tdo(Tprep(this.form.tl1[this.form.tl1.selectedIndex],'1',0), ");" />

I'm attaching two screenshots, one from a templates list load and another from a 'search in templates' effort. The most bizarre thing about this is the fact that I hadn't touched, or even been logged on to the public forum site yesterday prior to logging on with my laptop to see if I could expand the template groups with it. Screenshots below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	temp_search.png Views:	1 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	14033Click image for larger version  Name:	temp_list.png Views:	1 Size:	129.9 KB ID:	14034 .

Edit:
    So that code string appears to be jQuery related. I'm just going to take a wild guess and assume that the double-click functionality that normally expands template groups and/or executes template opening calls is jQuery based. If that's correct, is there any way to figure out where that particular code is located and what exactly it is supposed to call? The only thing I can think of is to try and look over the elements via inspection. But one problem is that I won't really know what I'm looking at or looking for. I'm still open for some idea.

Edit 2:
    Okay, I easily found the code string through an inspection session. It looks to be what is supposed to execute when the style manager control box 'Edit' button is clicked. But obviously that button is no longer loading or thus appearing. Some questions are: Why might this happen? And how could it happen on the very same day to two unconnected vB sites running in different states? My public site has been running fine since early 2013. I'm the only one with admin access to either site.

Comment

Here's the error from the console. Any idea what to do about it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	uncaught_typeerror.png
Views:	355
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	14043

Comment

Okay, I've realized what happened and fixed the issue on both forums.

In case anyone is interested, I'll explain. There was a problem with the color of a button's text label on the 'New Groups' sidebar in the social groups section. The word 'Edit' was quite hard to see upon mouse hover. I decided to troubleshoot the issue and hopefully find a workaround. I first tried changing the stylevar for the button hover background. But that value was widely shared and changing it made certain other features look terrible. So I then tried changing the stylevar that controlled the button text label color. But that did the same thing to various text features around the site sharing the directive. As such, I tried pointing the relevant template directives to different stylevars, but I found there were always conflictions. Yes, it was just one button I wanted to adjust. I should have given up because everything I tried ruined the appearance of something else. Yet it seemed that getting the 'Edit' text label to show up clearly upon hover should have been an easy task, and I was determined.

The method I decided upon, which seemed to work nicely, is the culprit that killed the button JavaScript control that used to be present in the style manager and elsewhere. Said method is that I simply located the text phrase element for the 'Edit' label and changed it to *white* by wrapping it between html font tags. So I simply replaced the default global 'Edit' text with <font color="white">Edit</font> and the hover label was perfect with nothing else seemingly affected. The label was clearly visible upon button hover and it perfectly matched the appearance and behavior of the other buttons in the groups section. Since for years I had been experiencing the same issue on the public forum site, I duplicated the process there as well. I had just forgotten that I'd briefly logged into that site's admincp to implement this simple fix.

Long story shorter, I have reverted back to the hard-to-read button 'Edit' label on both forum sites and all is well again. I just wanted to update here with my FIXED report and the explanation.

Comment

Why don't you add custom css in additional_css template to target that specific button using unique css selector and style it differently?
          Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
          Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
          Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
          A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
            Why don't you add custom css in additional_css template to target that specific button using unique css selector and style it differently?
            I actually did try that. It changes the text on the button to white, which is what I want... but it also changes the main sidebar text links on the index page to white as well. - which is what I don't want.

#sidebar_container a {
            color: #FFFFFF;
            }

Any ideas how to overcome this? I assume I would have to create a new css class with a unique name?

Thanks

Comment

I have to see the page to be able to suggest a solution.
              Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
              Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
              Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
              X
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"