X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admin login to any account

Would be nice if the admin could log into any account to test the account from the front end. I ran into an issue today someone was having. In order for me to test their account to verify the issue I had to change their password. When dealing with people of little computer knowledge even that can become an added problem. It would be nice to be able to login to any account without having to change the users password.

Enjoy,
    William

That's a very useful mod. I'll look into it.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Nice idea! But I think it would be more trustworthy if the admin or any user with the permission could view the forum with the permission of a user... like you could do on facebook
      My forum closed !

Comment

Did you mean the user has to allow admin to login in their behalf? Like it would prompt the actual user first asking if they would allow the admin to access their account?

Or did you just mean the admin would automatically obtain whatever forum permissions the user has?
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• delicjous
          delicjous commented
          Editing a comment
          Who have to answer? I mean that the admin could see everything thru the permission of a specific user. Not login to the users account. That could confuse some users and could used for illegal behavior.

The problem with that, as an example, a member cannot upload files ..... and it turns out that his individual account has met the quota. If I test the account by membership group permissions I won't find the issue because it is account isolated. There are other issues too that can surface like mail issues etc.

Requiring a user to grant permission to an Admin would be useless if the user can't login to their account to accept the invitation for the admin to take control of the account. I mean even in Windows which has remote access the end user still needs to at least be logged in to accept tech support (correct me if wrong but you get my point).

Comment

You are right. You couldn't see that with the group-permissions... but I think it is not that good to could login as an user with writing permissions and anything else.

The information is in the database so you could get it...Iam coding on an admin/ mod information which show all information about the specific user. The user and admin/ mods (with permission) could see information like the quota of files/ pms, picturecount .... I have a lot of exams right now and try to get my forum online... and I want to spend time with my family. So release date is not that far away (I thought ) hopefully.
          There are a vb-bug which I would like to be fixed before release: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-17656
          My forum closed !

Comment

I think there would be a problem with the privacy and data security laws in some countrys... because when you are logged in to the account you can easily read all private messages.

Comment

Originally posted by shining View Post
              I think there would be a problem with the privacy and data security laws in some countrys... because when you are logged in to the account you can easily read all private messages.
              I'm sure a disclaimer will do. It is not secure email. It is "private message" which are between parties like a secret. The only way to secure a secret is to not share it with anyone. Xenforo has private messages as "conversations" which is a little more honest. I think anybody with access to the database could read private messages now.

Actually, thinking about it this might be a positive. I allow children at very young ages on my board. If there were questionable contact and a moderator or admin was requested to look into an account by a parent it would be nice and easy to read what is going on.

Of course, I have no intention to ease drop on members or peek into or take over an account without request. As far as I am concerned, an automatic email notification to the user suggesting that the admin has taken over the account for a time would be perfectly acceptable.

William

Comment

I used to have something like this when we were using vB4. I mainly used it to check specific issues members had, but there was also a case when I needed to check a private message. We had a line in our forum rules stating that if we felt the need to do so, we could read private messages.

Would love to see this for vB5 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shining View Post
                  Then people in such countries shouldn't use such a modification.

It is wrong to deny functionality to people on the basis that it might cause issues in one country.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleiding View Post
                    I used to have something like this when we were using vB4. I mainly used it to check specific issues members had, but there was also a case when I needed to check a private message. We had a line in our forum rules stating that if we felt the need to do so, we could read private messages.

Would love to see this for vB5 as well.
                    Yes there was a "log in as user" mod for vB4, I use it, it is useful for testing permissions and dealing with account specific issues.

Comment

I was able to figure out how to implement the "login as user" core functionality in vB5. I just need to finalize all the side features.

Do you guys think it would be useful if the mod has an option to PM user when an admin logged in to his account? I was thinking to have that configurable option and then when an admin attempts to log in to an account, it would prompt him to enter the reason. Then it would PM that user the reason entered. This way, there is transparency and the user is aware that someone is accessing his account. Would it also be good to PM him again when the admin finishes and logs out of his account?

What do you think?
                      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
                        I was able to figure out how to implement the "login as user" core functionality in vB5. I just need to finalize all the side features.

Do you guys think it would be useful if the mod has an option to PM user when an admin logged in to his account? I was thinking to have that configurable option and then when an admin attempts to log in to an account, it would prompt him to enter the reason. Then it would PM that user the reason entered. This way, there is transparency and the user is aware that someone is accessing his account. Would it also be good to PM him again when the admin finishes and logs out of his account?

What do you think?
                        Yes, I think that they would be good features.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                          glennrocksvb commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for the feedback

Will this mod work on a cloud site?

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
                          Do you guys think it would be useful if the mod has an option to PM user when an admin logged in to his account?
                          That would be perfect!

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                          X
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"