Which ones do you use?
    acpu
    0%
    memcached
    0%
    opcache
    100.00%
    HostXNow - UK Web Hosting

OPcache can be used together with Memcached or ACPu. OPcache is an opcode cache which stores precompiled PHP script bytecode in memory for faster execution and it's bundled with PHP 5.5 and above by default. Memcached and ACPu are data store cache which can store data from database in memory. So they are different than OPcache and the poll options are not technically accurate.

I use both OPcache and Memcached on this site.
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Correct me if wrong, but the benefits of using memcached can only be seen when using multiple machines. For example, one server dealing with the web site, mysql, and another memcached.

Having the memcached server on the same web server as your site and database results in no performance gain on avg. Again, I read this, and I also performed speed test and saw no apparent advantage when using memcached.

Enjoy,
      William

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        glennrocksvb commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never performed tests on my own so I couldn't tell. For reference, could you post a link on where you read that.

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
      I've never performed tests on my own so I couldn't tell. For reference, could you post a link on where you read that.
      Post number 7 https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...w-down-admincp

Paul M states: Memcache will work, but its only really better if you run multiple web servers.
      For simple single server usage & vB3.8.11 & 4.2.5 - you are better off just using APCu,

I assumed this would be the case for Vbulletin 5?

And, this is not the articles I read (can't find them) but I think it touches upon the disadvantages of running memcached on the same machine with emphasis on point number 1.

There are several benefits of not running Memcached server and the database sever on the same machine:
      1. If they both run on the same server, they will compete for vital system resources like memory, network IO, CPU etc. In the best cases, this will make performance of both jittery and in the worst cases, will make both of them ineffective because of insufficient resources.
      2. You can get pretty far while running your database server on a single machine. On the other hand, you will have to distribute your Memcached servers much sooner. So you're anyway going to have to locate them on different machines at some point. Better to start with a topology you're going to have for a long time.
      3. As a continuation of previous point, it's in fact advisable to distribute your Memcached cluster in at least 3 machine, even if you could hold all the data in a single machine. The reason is - if your Memcached isn't distributed and the machine where your server runs fails, your whole Memcached will need to start cold. While it says cold, your database could easily get 10-100x more read load than it usually does - which might just bring it down too.
      4. Just having one Memcached machine is bad for reliability in itself (since it can bring database down after a cold start), having the database and Memcached run on the same machine is even worse - if the machine fails, not only you'd have to migrate to slave database (or whatever else failover mechanism you have), you'd also have to start from a cold cache with a very low hit rate. So your new database server will be hammered right away -- possibly causing it to go down once again.

https://www.quora.com/Should-I-use-a...atabase-server

Enjoy,
      William

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        glennrocksvb commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for sharing!

• glennrocksvb
        glennrocksvb commented
        Editing a comment
        I just disabled Memcached on this site. Let's see if there's any speed changes.

How can I run APCu on A2 hosting? Does the server already have APCu installed. And in the config.php file in VB5 I only see APC and not APCu. Is there a difference.

I also notice that Paul M is speaking about memcache and not memcached. I dunno if there are similar advantages and disadvantages and whether what he said applies to memcached.

Edit: I totally am glad this thread exists. I can't even find OPcache in my phpinfo. I'm inquiring with my host to see if it is installed and if not to have it installed.

Enjoy,
      William

Comment

A2 Hosting says VPS plans (and even some Shared plans) have OPcache pre-configured. See link below.

https://www.a2hosting.com/vps-hosting/managed/compare#managed-vps-speed
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
        Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• William
          William commented
          Editing a comment
          I just wrote support. I do not see it in php.info. Have word soon enough! And by the way, I notice no personal slow down on the site with memcached disabled.

• William
          William commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like it wasn't installed. The ticket has been upgraded for one of their gurus to install opcache. Can't wait to see the difference. I take it by default it is made an option but they do not install it.

You can use Opcache using EasyApache 4 profile within WHM. Or if CloudLinux and PHP Selector is being used you can select modules like aCPU, Opcache and Memcached there. I was testing the difference between them and did not notice much difference, to be honest.

What I found does make a huge difference is using LiteSpeed Web Server and loading the forum over https because LiteSpeed Web Server supports HTTP2. I will test caching from LiteSpeed to see if that helps.
        HostXNow - UK Web Hosting

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
        X
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"