X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HTTPS explained with carrier pigeons

This is a good article on learning how HTTPS works by reading about Alice, Bob and a lot of carrier pigeons.
    Learn how HTTPS works by reading about Alice, Bob and a lot of carrier pigeons
    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
    Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
    Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
    A2 Hosting & IONOS

I enjoyed that article, and....

The article mentioned Caesar's Cipher which reminded me of a historical method which is rather old school. When kings sent a message to a general on the battle field by carrier they would send it encrypted by a cipher. An example of the cipher is that each king and general had an exactly matched cipher stick. The stick was the same diameter and shape. The stick would be wrapped with the writing material, and the message would be writ on it. When unwound from the stick the message is completely unreadable, and if another stick of different diameter or shape was used it would continue to be unreadable. Only a matched cipher would reveal the message.

Click image for larger version  Name:	introduction-to-cryptography-7-638.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.9 KB ID:	8901

You can try it by wrapping a pencil with a piece of paper which is made into a long strip. Write your message, unwind, and then try using a different cipher stick such as a marker. The message won't be readable.

Just thought some would enjoy this historical cipher.

Comment

Interesting... So they would need multiple strips or tapes when they wrote long messages. How would they know the correct order of the strips to read the whole message?
      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

• William
        William commented
        Editing a comment
        Never thought about that nor do I know!

I found an online Caesar Cipher encryption/decryption tool.

Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
      X
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"