X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSL- Has anyone dealt with this site?

The Let's Encrypt ACME Directory URL is: https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory To enable HTTPS on your website, you need to get a certificate (a type of file) from a Certificate Authority (CA). Let’s Encrypt is a CA. In order to get a certificate for your website’s domain from Let’s Encrypt, you have to demonstrate control over the domain. With Let’s Encrypt, you do this using software that uses the ACME protocol which typically runs on your web host.

Hey NumNum,

I don't use them but it seems my hosting company makes using them easy. I see that the certificate needs be renewed several times a year. If there is no automatic option that seems like a real inconvenience. Especially because the sites are normally unreachable when the certificate expires. In case you're interested this is how Siteground implemented Lets Encrypt: https://www.siteground.com/tutorials...ts-encrypt.htm

Enjoy,
    William

Comment

• NumNum
      NumNum commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks William.

I'm looking at all the options. I cannot see paying for it when I run a non-commerce site. My host provides it, for a fee. $100.00 a year.
      Last edited by NumNum; 03-11-2017, 01:21 PM.

Originally posted by NumNum View Post
    Thanks William.

I'm looking at all he options. I cannot see paying for it when I run a non-commerce site. My host provides it, for a fee. $100.00 a year.
    I actually jumped on a promotional offer a while back when my host offered a yearly certificate for 80 bucks that renewed thereafter for lifetime free. I'm glad I jumped on that offer. A hundred is reasonable, but I'd search and bet that you could get it down cheaper than that.

Note: I see that Godaddy offers the certificates with a current 20% discount: https://www.godaddy.com/web-security/ssl-certificate

The advantage SEO is supposed to be a minor signal - I haven't noticed any increase in site ranking since implementing it. Though for a time thereafter the site actually plummeted because https is not the same addy as http and without setting up redirects the site in Google's listing began afresh. Live and learn.

Anyhoot, what makes SSL necessary now is that most people get spooked when they see the unsafe icon in a lot of the new browsers. Some browsers make sure the end user notices it as being non SSL.

Just something to consider though you're not commercial. It really isn't Google pushing the issue, but rather the browsers - imo.

Enjoy,
    William

Comment

I use Let's Encrypt for my SSL certificate here on this site. It expires after 90 days but I have a cron job that renews it every week. It doesn't hurt when you renew it even if it's not expired. But it ensures you have an active SSL every 90 days.

Some hosts such as A2 Hosting are already providing free SSL certificate using Let's Encrypt to all their customers even in Shared plans.
      Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
      Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
      Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
      A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

I run HostXNow.com, and we use https://letsencrypt-for-cpanel.com/ so customers can issue a free Let's Encrypt SSL themselves without them having the need to contact us. We do not charge them for SSLs. We don't have to pay for them and so there is no need to charge the customer. SSLs are included in the price of the hosting accounts. But yes, the LE plugin for WHM/cPanel works fine.
        HostXNow - UK Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post
          I have a cron job.
          I might have a job for you.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            glennrocksvb commented
            Editing a comment
            Email me.

NumNum
          Thanks William.

I'm looking at all he options. I cannot see paying for it when I run a non-commerce site. My host provides it, for a fee. $100.00 a year.
          To be honest i think you are being ripped of the host i have supplies it free of charge which i use on 2 of my sites and it renews when it is supposed to on my main site i use a bought ssl which costs about 35 bucks per year which is cheap when you think about it if you are using the site to sell stuff then the paid option is always best.
          Wise men say nothing Fools never listen

Comment

• NumNum
            NumNum commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya think? Packing my bags as we speak.

I'm waiting for the verdict, but I just noticed that the dedicated ssl certificate which I purchase is not the one being used. Cloudflare issues a "universal" certificate. This may impact seo as it is a shared certificate. I just purchased their dedicated option for 5 dollars a month. I hope that after a few day when Google reshuffles that there will be a noticeable advantage.

Just thought I'd put this out there for those of us that purchased SSL but didn't see an improvement. It may indeed of been the universal shared ssl at Cloudflare that was the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by willie53 View Post
            To be honest i think you are being ripped of the host
            Yes, the certificates from Let´s Encrypt are for free. Most hosting providers offer this service nowadays as a matter of course to their customers.

Comment

• NumNum
              NumNum commented
              Editing a comment
              I am VERY happy with A2, which provides this for free.

• shining
              shining commented
              Editing a comment
              Then I don´t understand your thread.. why do you want to install the lets encrypt certificate manual? And for what do they want a fee of 100$?

• NumNum
              NumNum commented
              Editing a comment
              I can see how anyone could be confused. The original post was when I was with my previous host (HostMySite) . I have since migrated to A2.

The thread was just recently bumped by William with some FYI information.

• shining
              shining commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh sorry I did not recognize that this is an old thread Shame on me...

• NumNum
              NumNum commented
              Editing a comment
              No worries.

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
          X
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"