X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there everybody...

Glad to join this community. I have a small forum that is on VB4 and I'm planning to upgrade to VB5. I was reading online and several links directed me to this site. I thought I would join and say hello since I've been reading lots here lately anyway.

Namaste,
    K

Welcome to vBmods!

Comment

Originally posted by kether View Post
      I have a small forum that is on VB4 and I'm planning to upgrade to VB5.
      Hi! Great to meetcha and welcome to vbMods! My forums are on vB5x. We were happy with 5 and some of Glenn's mods made it perfect. Recently we moved to another host and it seems things got a bit munged (sigh) - story of my life. We have a fairly large place with around 500 to 800ish messages posted daily. Incredibly dynamic, and not every site is a good match for us. We went ahead and updated our vB5 and no one was happy. A bunch of little things were farkled. Thankfully, I have a great tech guy I am partners with and he got the answers he needed to make the repairs. All in all, though, I still like 5 a whole lot.

I've been reading lots here lately anyway.
      I do a lot of reading here, too. Most of the stuff is way over my head, but that's how I learn, so... <g>

Comment

Thank you both for the friendly welcome.

K

Comment

Thank you both for the friendly welcome.
          Don't be a stranger!!

Comment

Originally posted by -merzi View Post

Don't be a stranger!!
            I'll be here. I actually posted a question in another section of the forum hoping to get a response from Mr. Vergara (coder here). Today I'm working on redirects. My vb4 forum used vbseo urls and I need to figure out the redirects to get my links to forward to the new vb5 'friendly' urls. Having little experience with redirects, this is a huge learning curve. Anyway, thanks again for the response.

Comment

I'll be here. I actually posted a question in another section of the forum hoping to get a response from Mr. Vergara (coder here). Today I'm working on redirects.
              I am sure you will hear from someone. If push comes to shove and you don't get the info, I will ask my tech guy to stop by. Redirects have been a way of life for us for many years through many versions of our in-house forum software. In almost 30 years of forums, buying vB 5 was our first foray into forum software that was not built and maintained by either our in-house devs or devs we hired to do just that (in later years as the company got smaller). Two years ago we left our home of close to 30 years and went out on our own. We had two months' worth of checking out and testing forum software, finally settling on vBulletin.

Comment

I am sure you will hear from someone. If push comes to shove and you don't get the info, I will ask my tech guy to stop by. Redirects have been a way of life for us for many years through many versions of our in-house forum software. In almost 30 years of forums, buying vB 5 was our first foray into forum software that was not built and maintained by either our in-house devs or devs we hired to do just that (in later years as the company got smaller). Two years ago we left our home of close to 30 years and went out on our own. We had two months' worth of checking out and testing forum software, finally settling on vBulletin.

Thank you. I just posted a message on the VB forum to see if I could get some help with the URL redirects. I'll post it here too in case your tech can take a look. I was able to get some help with the redirects to vb4 friendly URLs for some forum URLs, but I'm stuck on the CMS redirects/rewrites.

Here is what I have so far, but I'm not sure if this is right or how to apply it to the two links below:
                Currently, this is an article URL.
                Code:
                https://www.mysite.com/forum/content/178-title-that-goes-here.html
                This is the rewrite rule I believe I need to use to redirect it back to the vb4 URLS - but, again, I'm not sure.
                Code:
                RewriteRule /([0-9]+-[^/]+)\.html$ /forum/content.php?r=$1 [L]
                This is the url when I disable Hooks on my site. (I'm guessing this is the url I need to redirect to?
                Code:
                https://www.mysite.com/forum/content.php?r=178-Title-that-goes-here

So, here is another layer to this redirect, but I'm not sure what to do.

The sections of my CMS have URLs that look like this:
                Code:
                https://www.mysite.com/forum/content/section/45-title-name.html
                When I disable hooks, this is the URL.
                Code:
                https://www.mysite.com/forum/content.php?r=45-Title-Name
                What Rewrite rule do I need to use here? (Also, is it a problem that the 'title name' now has upper case letters?)

Finally, here is the category using list.php. This is the current URL
                Code:
                https://www.mysite.com/forum/content/category/41-title.html

Here is the URL when I disable hooks: (again, the first letter is now in upper case. I don't know if it will even make a difference, but noticed it when editing the URLs to post with my questions.)
                Code:
                https://www.mysite.com/forum/list.php?r=category/41-Title
                What Rewrite rule do I need to use here?

Thanks, -merzi for your help and welcome!

k

Comment

Thank you. I just posted a message on the VB forum to see if I could get some help with the URL redirects. I'll post it here too in case your tech can take a look.
                  Sorry for the long delay. We had some major issues - hosting once again - and I've been busy with that for a couple of weeks. I'm behind everywhere, including my own place.

Did you get any help with your redirects issue? If not, I will try to get some outside help for you, either my tech or a tech who used to do all of our redirects at our old home.

Comment

Sorry for the long delay. We had some major issues - hosting once again - and I've been busy with that for a couple of weeks. I'm behind everywhere, including my own place.

Did you get any help with your redirects issue? If not, I will try to get some outside help for you, either my tech or a tech who used to do all of our redirects at our old home.
                    Hey there! I thought maybe this site was abandoned! hahaha... Sorry you had those hosting issues. I've been working on the redirects, but have had no help. I know so little about exactly what to do, I have been working on other things. I have just about finished the new skin for the site when we go to 5.5.5, but I need to get the redirects done so we can keep our indexed links. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. And, I apologize for not seeing this message sooner. After posting in a few threads here with no response, this site fell off my radar. I had bookmarked it and I noticed it in the list this morning.

Comment

And, I apologize for not seeing this message sooner.
                      No worries. I'm always delayed for one reason or another <g>.

I don't sysop --- moderate in this forum. I just hang here when I can because I am so in love with the mods Glenn makes for vB. Plus, I like the folks I've met here <g>.

I will ask my tech guy to stop by and take a look at your thread. If he can't help, I'll ask a dev I worked with for a long time who is well versed in redirects.

Comment

No worries. I'm always delayed for one reason or another <g>.

I don't sysop --- moderate in this forum. I just hang here when I can because I am so in love with the mods Glenn makes for vB. Plus, I like the folks I've met here <g>.

I will ask my tech guy to stop by and take a look at your thread. If he can't help, I'll ask a dev I worked with for a long time who is well versed in redirects.
                        Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. This redirect business is not something I understand very well (it is a bit like learning another language - ha!) Thank you.

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                        X
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"