X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand the concept.
    My forum is not open to the general public as it is a proving ground for testing code and fixing exploits, among other things. As such, I do not concern myself with luring in members. My use of this method is in determining what members can see what areas of the forum, beyond the permissions settings.
    Personally, if I went to a forum and could not see anything other than blurred out comments unless I registered, that would annoy me. I'd rather not see them at all. But to each their own.
    Also, I have a completely custom theme and I do all my own coding on it so I don't worry about upgrade conflicts
    And yes, is_member_of is functional in vB5x, which is what I currently host for my own forum.
    One can also use the ! NOT function.

Comment

An after thought... using the is_member_of condition, one could simply say, if is_member_of TRUE display module as is, otherwise if is_member_of FALSE display module using CSS modified BLUR function. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix2 View Post
        Also, I have a completely custom theme and I do all my own coding on it so I don't worry about upgrade conflicts
        Yes you have a custom theme but still you are using existing vBulletin templates. Templates are different than themes. When vBulletin releases a new version that contains changes to templates that you also modified, then there might be merge conflicts and if that happens, the upgrade process will not merge the changes and you have to manually merge them and you will see below message in AdminCP

Click image for larger version

Name:	merge-templates.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	819

An after thought... using the is_member_of condition, one could simply say, if is_member_of TRUE display module as is, otherwise if is_member_of FALSE display module using CSS modified BLUR function. Just a thought.
        Why would you need to edit the template to add a check for is_member_of() but still use CSS to blur the content? What's the benefit of doing that as opposed to using a pure CSS solution?
        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
        Buy me a coffeePayPal QR Code
        Fast VPS Host for vBulletin:
        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

The main reason why I want the blur rather than permissions set only to members, is so that Google can still read the responses and index them. Glenn's mod accomplished this perfectly!

I take it that if a site owner or admin couldn't care less about its content being searchable then this wouldn't be desirable. Why would you even consider this mod if so?

Enjoy,
          William
          Last edited by William; 09-13-2016, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by William View Post
            The main reason why I want the blur rather than permissions set only to members, is so that Google can still read the responses and index them. Glenn's mod accomplished this perfectly!
            Ah, that is a little different. I block all search bots.
            That is a major difference between a private and public forum.
            Yes, it is true, if you use my method the content will not be there and it can not be added to search engines.

Comment

Ah, that is a little different. I block all search bots.
              That is a major difference between a private and public forum.
              Yes, it is true, if you use my method the content will not be there and it can not be added to search engines.
              Exactly!

Enjoy,
              William

Comment

Why would you need to edit the template to add a check for is_member_of() but still use CSS to blur the content? What's the benefit of doing that as opposed to using a pure CSS solution?
                Security.
                The CSS can be altered but if wrapped in vB code, it simply would not exist. Since we were looking at it from a member/group status, it can't be left to CSS itself as that only changes appearances. We need an IF/THEN condition to use the CSS. But the point is now mute as the reason behind the request turned out to be different than expected.

Comment

But the point is now mute as the reason behind the request turned out to be different than expected.
                  Glad you see the point, I believe I made the initial request for such a mod (feels kinda special at the moment). I know that in a month my avg visitors is up a hundred a day. Though I have only seen one to two new on avg members a day. From these stats, I can say that Google does not know the difference!

If there was one thing I could add to this mod, and it might be able, is to add a url to the registration page when it says one must be registered and logged in. Any advice? From a purely CSS standard?

Enjoy,
                  William

Comment

Security.
                    The CSS can be altered but if wrapped in vB code, it simply would not exist.
                    If CSS is wrapped in <vb:if> and CSS would not exist, then it means the user is logged in and there's nothing to hide/blur. That's good. But if user is a guest, then CSS would exist and that can still be altered by the user. There is no security in this solution and it is essentially the same as the pure CSS solution except that it modified a number of existing vB templates to add the if/then condition and would be in danger of having template merge conflicts in future upgrades.
                    Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                    A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

you are using existing vBulletin templates.
                      Nope. Started out with one. Have heavily rewrote it and called it my own.
                      But you are correct. I could not do a standard upgrade without massive conflicts.
                      As every released update since vb5.0 has resolved more than 150 bugs in every release and added about 300 more, and fixed none of the bugs prior to 5x, I don't bother with upgrades in the common sense.
                      I instead look over the changed code and apply what I want, being careful not to conflict or break any of my own code.
                      I also include XF, IPB, and basically any code I want if it serves a need. I've gone so far as to rewrite the database, RSS, and a lot of other code.
                      I guess one could say I have rewritten so much of the code it wouldn't be fair to call it vB anymore, except that is still at the core of it.
                      Many people think it is vB4x because of how it looks and works.
                      Had I known the **** I'd go through upgrading from 4x to 5x I would have gone to IPB. But since I went to all the trouble to make the thing work, including updating my Apache and PHP servers, I figure I might as well keep it a while longer.
                      Besides, now that vB4x is no longer supported, DragonByte will no longer provide support or development and vB itself has done little in years, I don't see much of a future for the forum unless one can code like I can. Sad thing is, I've made a number of exploit fixes and bug patches, offered them to vB free, and they declined to accept them, claiming they didn't plan to continue support.
                      Meh. It is what it is.
                      I offer help where I can.
                      But it is now 4AM for me and I feel I am rambling, so I will say good night.

Comment

Originally posted by William View Post
                        If there was one thing I could add to this mod, and it might be able, is to add a url to the registration page when it says one must be registered and logged in. Any advice? From a purely CSS standard?
                        Using pure CSS, no. CSS cannot generate HTML content which is required to create a link.
                        Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                        A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Hi Glenn,

works perfect

Thanks for the refund on the first attempt - The second attempt worked

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                            glennrocksvb commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Oh, it was you! Sorry for the momentary glitch on the payment system. I will report the issue to them.

Anyway, I'm glad this mod works for you.

• Madekozu
                            Madekozu commented
                            Editing a comment
                            No problem - the error was on my side - I had a disconnect at this time (found in the log of the router)

I just purchase this add on , i will try to install , if i need help

Comment

Glenn, this is the next of your paid mods I am going to install, but when I extracted the zip file I could only find a file called css_additional.css.txt and no instructions. Could you send me the instructions please for this?

many thanks
                            Horizon

Comment

There is actually an instruction at the top of that file enclosed in /* and */ comment tags. You just have to add the css in css_additional.css template or via Sitebuilder > Style > CSS Editor.

Code:
                              /*************** [B][COLOR=#FF0000]Add the below CSS to css_additional.css template or via Sitebuilder > Style > CSS Editor[/COLOR][/B] ***************/
                              Helpful? Donate. Thanks!
                              A2 Hosting & IONOS

Comment

Users Viewing This Page

Collapse

There is 1 user viewing this forum topic.

• Guest Guest

Latest Posts

Collapse

Working...
                              X
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"